Mrs. Tillery — her feelings on RHS and more

Since the beginning of Rocklin’s existence, Mrs. Cynthia Cutts has propelled forward the seniors of Rocklin into their college dreams.  After 20 years of service to these halls, Cutts has moved  to the beautiful Island of Hawaii.  But have no fear;  Mrs. Amber Tillery has honorably taken the position as the new Mrs. Cutts.

Q: What made you decide to get into this field?

A: I was working in a very unfulfilling job in a private industry.

Q: What are your goals for your first year at Rocklin?

A: My goal for the this year is to learn all aspects of this job and I would like to change the focus from college to career.

Q: What, if anything, makes you nervous about this position?

A: I don’t want to give a student bad/wrong advice, but I’m also okay with telling them I don’t know.

Q:How have you adjusted to this job?

A: Every day is an adjustment!  But the students are great and they help me.

Q: Where did you go to college?

A: I spent a year at University of Reno and then I transferred to Santa Monica but I unfortunately got lost within the community college system.

Q: What did you major/minor in?

A: I majored in English Literature.  I would like to be an English teacher someday.

Q: Did you have a “Mrs. Cutts” at your high school?

A: No, Placer High School did not have that position available back then.

Q: How does Rocklin compare to the high school you attended?

A: The size is similar and there is a place for every student in terms of “fitting in.”

Q: What are you looking to gain through this experience?

A: I used to sell insurance which was not a fulfilling experience, nor did it allow me to grow as a person; I am looking forward to helping someone in a more meaningful way.

Q: How many seniors have come to see you already (give a rough estimate)?

A: About a dozen. Plus the 30 students who have made an appointment with me at our senior meeting.

Q: What other schools have you worked at? How long?

A: This is the first school I’ve worked at.  But I loved high school and I’m glad to be here and do my part.

Q: Were you involved with anything in the Rocklin community prior to working this position?

A: Yes, I was on the Rocklin Girls Fastpitch Softball committee as a board member for six years and I coached youth softball for seven years.

Q: Would being involved with the Rocklin High School Girls Softball team be an interest of yours for the future?

A: Yes I would love to help out with that, but the coaches they have now do an amazing job and I don’t believe I am qualified.