On and Off-Campus Trends

A new year, but not so new fashion? In 2014, we witnessed a flashback of the 90s with the revival of high waisted shorts and crop tops with a grunge influence. Well according to Vogue fashion magazine, in 2015 we can expect to see a revitalization of trends that were popular in the 70s. These trends include flared jeans, oversized coats, and rollnecks/polonecks for the winter along with denim and/or suede.

This goes for both genders; in fact, the latest trends are becoming increasingly unisex, i.e. flannels, boyfriend jeans, converse, etc. In fact, there are stylish RHS students who actively shop in the opposite gender’s department.

Junior Kyra Marzo enjoys the comfort from boys’ clothes. “I like the graphic tees… they’re a lot softer I think, compared to the girls [graphic tees]” Along with them, she often buys boys’ graphic crew socks from Urban Outfitters. This isn’t much different from Jamie Brooks, a freshman who also purchases sweatshirts for the baggier, comfortable feel, something she doesn’t get from girls clothes because “they’re really tight in the arms”

Another popular trend isn’t exactly what clothes you wear, but where you buy them from. Thrift shopping has been around for ages, but recently thrift stores have become popular places to pick up vintage, in-style pieces for your wardrobe at a low price. Goodwill, Crossroads and YSJ are some consignment stores that Kayla Austefjord actively shops at.

“You can find one-of-a-kind things that no one else is going to have,” she said.

Another obvious reason is that thrift stores offer gently used clothing at discounted prices. Like Kayla, Freshman Veda Lelchook says “sometimes…I’ll get 5 things and spend twenty bucks”, One of her favorite items that she discovered is a vintage denim jacket, which she says she bought for six dollars.

With the fashion statements that students make on campus, we can expect to see these trends grow more and more popular among both genders in all classes.