Taking the Joy Away from Reading

Most people view reading as a hassle. Others see it as a calming way to relax and get lost in a different world. However, teachers force students to read certain books with deadlines and then quiz us on our knowledge on the novel; this is a program called Accelerated Reader.This also takes away the joy people receive while reading and for those who do not enjoy reading, it makes them resent it even more.

Accelerated reader is required for every student and certain English courses will even limit the books that students are allowed to read. For example, Honors and Advanced courses will limit students to only reading non-fiction. This is definitively a major factor in ruining the reading experience.

Every semester, students at Rocklin High School must meet their “goal” which is normally determined in the beginning of the year. In addition to novels students are expected to read in class for a particular unit, they must also read another book on their own time with four classes a day and then homework after school along with jobs, friends and family, students have very little time to read. Especially if the student has no interest in the book.

With all these other responsibilities, students end up cramming with their AR book. Whether they stay up all night the day before its due or try to memorize the summaries on sparknotes, they never get to actually enjoy the book. Students miss all the important lessons or historical facts the book contains when they skim the chapters.

With that said, teachers should only require one AR book to be read per year. This would allow students to leisurely finish the book on their own time; besides, students do not have all this extra time to sit and read multiple times a semester.

For Accelerated Reader to really make an impact on the way students view reading, it should be more encouraging.  Reading is no longer enjoyable when it demands our free time and creates stress by setting short deadlines.