Building Bonds Through Float Construction

ASB Class Officer Maya Gutierrez and fellow volunteers build the freshman float for homecoming, bonding in the process and making memories that will last a lifetime.

Photo Credit: Chloe Entrican

As Homecoming grows closer, students work tirelessly to finish float construction in the week before the dance. During this time, classmates are given the opportunity to come out, meet new people, and work towards a rewarding goal. “You get to meet new people. You get to be a part of something that’s bigger than yourself,” Gutierrez explains. In fact, all grades are participating in these events with different float themes; Freshman are constructing Back to the Future, Sophomores have Wizard of Oz, Juniors were given Jurassic Park, and Seniors have the theme of Marvel. 

Through making these floats together, students are able to reach a final product and feel a sense of pride in their work. “It’s stressful, you are tired everyday, but it’s worth it and it’s really rewarding,” Guiterrez stated. For example, the group of students involved in float construction voluntarily gave up their time to work together, overcoming challenges and acquiring success. “It’s the main way we bond… Homecoming is there for us to bond as a group and that’s how we set off high school.”

During Homecoming week, school spirit is displayed in several varied ways, from clothing, to games, to float construction. These activities provide ways for students to get involved with their community and grow connections to Rocklin campus. Float construction is one of the experiences that unites the students towards one common goal: Homecoming.