STRIKE LIFE

With the possibility of a teacher strike in the near future, students begin to wonder what school would look like without our teachers

Allison McCrary

A campus with no clubs, no teachers and no real learning. This is what school would be like if the teacher strike goes through.

“We don’t have a strike vote day set, but it will be soon as far as the vote. But just because you vote doesn’t mean you have to go on strike,” said Mrs. Colleen Crowe, government teacher and president of the Rocklin Professional Teachers Association. .

With the possibility of strike on the horizon, the Rocklin Unified School District was forced put together a plan of action.  For starters, the substitute daily pay would increase. Instead of making about $120 a day, their pay would almost quadruple, going up to an average of $425 a day serving during a strike. By doing this, they not only make the job more desirable, but make a statement to the teachers on strike.

In order to receive this payment, substitute teachers must go through an extra registration to receive the credentials to be Special Circumstances Substitute.  

As for the students, based on what we know they would  be organized in the gym alphabetically then separated into groups of roughly 60 (depending on classroom size) . Each group of 60 or so would  be assigned one Special Circumstances Substitute who would take them to a classroom.

“They are going to combine classes. From what I understand there will be no APs and there will be no electives…You will be divided, the substitutes will have a box of curriculum, nothing you are working on now and nothing that will count for whatever your teacher decides to do when they come back. It is just sort of ‘here is something for you to do.’ The District has that all planned apparently and has been avidly making copies, etc,” Crowe said.

The district has twice paid substitutes $100 a day for special training days.

As for the reason for the strike, it is not only about the money.

“It is also about contract language, it is about being treated with respect. It is more than just the money…it is the language [that] is so important to making thing better for them and for us.” Crowe said. “We tried to propose language we thought they would be excited about, that would benefit them because it was based on a report they commissioned. We kind of thought, ‘Oh we are doing them a favor,’ and they basically just said no. No is not negotiable.”

The District and the Union have a planned negotiation meeting for Friday to begin negotiations on the 2018-2019 contract.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “STRIKE LIFE”

1. Makayla Mulder on September 4th, 2018 11:14 am

I like how you used direct quotes. i feel like it made it more “powerful”.

2. Emily Trevino on September 4th, 2018 11:15 am

This gives so much more info that I wanted to know about the teacher strike. Great Job!

3. Marcus Madril on September 4th, 2018 11:15 am

If the teachers were to go on strike it would harm the students, the teachers, and the district. The school district needs to be more reasonable with the teachers and meet their demands.

4. Anna Akhmetkulova on September 4th, 2018 11:19 am

If the strike were to go through, how long will it last?

5. Katie Charubin on September 4th, 2018 11:20 am

I think this story is really interesting because it tells us what school will be like if the teachers go on strike. I’ve been wondering what has been going on with the teacher strike, and now I know that it is because of the contract language and their low pay.

6. Grace on September 4th, 2018 11:21 am

Why would subs pay increase

7. Tanner Carruth on September 4th, 2018 11:22 am

Does this mean we won’t have the normal time we get out of school?

8. Treyger Lawanson on September 4th, 2018 11:26 am

I can’t believe that they would just put all of us in a classroom and give us worksheets to do.

• STRIKE LIFE

Your Story, Your School

A Truly Moving Experience

• STRIKE LIFE

RHS News

After The Big Debut

• STRIKE LIFE

Showcase

A New High School Experience

• STRIKE LIFE

RHS News

The New Teacher on Campus

• STRIKE LIFE

Movie Reviews

The Nun

• STRIKE LIFE

Humor

Game Of The Century-Borderlands

• STRIKE LIFE

Local News

STRIKE OUT

• STRIKE LIFE

RHS News

Displaced Students

• STRIKE LIFE

RHS News

Battle For the Rock

• STRIKE LIFE

RHS News

Changes Approaching

STRIKE LIFE