STRIKE LIFE

With the possibility of a teacher strike in the near future, students begin to wonder what school would look like without our teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

STRIKE LIFE

Allison McCrary

A campus with no clubs, no teachers and no real learning. This is what school would be like if the teacher strike goes through.

“We don’t have a strike vote day set, but it will be soon as far as the vote. But just because you vote doesn’t mean you have to go on strike,” said Mrs. Colleen Crowe, government teacher and president of the Rocklin Professional Teachers Association. .

With the possibility of strike on the horizon, the Rocklin Unified School District was forced put together a plan of action.  For starters, the substitute daily pay would increase. Instead of making about $120 a day, their pay would almost quadruple, going up to an average of $425 a day serving during a strike. By doing this, they not only make the job more desirable, but make a statement to the teachers on strike.

In order to receive this payment, substitute teachers must go through an extra registration to receive the credentials to be Special Circumstances Substitute.  

As for the students, based on what we know they would  be organized in the gym alphabetically then separated into groups of roughly 60 (depending on classroom size) . Each group of 60 or so would  be assigned one Special Circumstances Substitute who would take them to a classroom.

“They are going to combine classes. From what I understand there will be no APs and there will be no electives…You will be divided, the substitutes will have a box of curriculum, nothing you are working on now and nothing that will count for whatever your teacher decides to do when they come back. It is just sort of ‘here is something for you to do.’ The District has that all planned apparently and has been avidly making copies, etc,” Crowe said.

The district has twice paid substitutes $100 a day for special training days.

As for the reason for the strike, it is not only about the money.

“It is also about contract language, it is about being treated with respect. It is more than just the money…it is the language [that] is so important to making thing better for them and for us.” Crowe said. “We tried to propose language we thought they would be excited about, that would benefit them because it was based on a report they commissioned. We kind of thought, ‘Oh we are doing them a favor,’ and they basically just said no. No is not negotiable.”

The District and the Union have a planned negotiation meeting for Friday to begin negotiations on the 2018-2019 contract.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “STRIKE LIFE”

1. Makayla Mulder on September 4th, 2018 11:14 am

I like how you used direct quotes. i feel like it made it more “powerful”.

2. Emily Trevino on September 4th, 2018 11:15 am

This gives so much more info that I wanted to know about the teacher strike. Great Job!

3. Marcus Madril on September 4th, 2018 11:15 am

If the teachers were to go on strike it would harm the students, the teachers, and the district. The school district needs to be more reasonable with the teachers and meet their demands.

4. Alexander lovette on September 4th, 2018 11:16 am

Wow I never realized they made that much. That is pretty low even my dad makes 450 a day.

5. Anna Akhmetkulova on September 4th, 2018 11:19 am

If the strike were to go through, how long will it last?

6. Olivia Jeffra on September 4th, 2018 11:20 am

This article made me appreciate teachers and their jobs even more. I agree that teachers don’t receive enough money and they should do something about it. This strike is a good thing for the teachers in the Rocklin School District.

7. Katie Charubin on September 4th, 2018 11:20 am

I think this story is really interesting because it tells us what school will be like if the teachers go on strike. I’ve been wondering what has been going on with the teacher strike, and now I know that it is because of the contract language and their low pay.

8. Grace on September 4th, 2018 11:21 am

Why would subs pay increase

9. Tanner Carruth on September 4th, 2018 11:22 am

Does this mean we won’t have the normal time we get out of school?

10. Marissa Robertson on September 4th, 2018 11:23 am

It makes the piece original when you add direct quotes from people, I really like it.

11. Treyger Lawanson on September 4th, 2018 11:26 am

I can’t believe that they would just put all of us in a classroom and give us worksheets to do.

• STRIKE LIFE

Local News

Logan Rafter, Forever In Our Hearts

• STRIKE LIFE

Entertainment

Football is Back

• STRIKE LIFE

Pop Culture

College Scandals: Fake It Til’ You Make It

• STRIKE LIFE

Entertainment

Dancing Shoes

• STRIKE LIFE

Entertainment

Metro Exodus: Another Great Narrative

• STRIKE LIFE

Local News

Extra Exhaustion

• STRIKE LIFE

Entertainment

Alita: Balance Angel

• STRIKE LIFE

Entertainment

The Joke Master

• STRIKE LIFE

Showcase

Tanking for Zion

• STRIKE LIFE

Entertainment

Panic! At the Golden 1 Center

STRIKE LIFE