Navigating Nearby Nooks

In search of the best study spaces in Rocklin.

Navigating Nearby Nooks

Ashley Hay

I consider myself a (mostly) successful student at Rocklin High School. I take interesting classes, I participate in school activities and I’ve made good friends. But over the course of my high school career, I’ve discovered how difficult it is to stay motivated while studying. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

But the key to motivation, as I discovered last year, is finding new places to study. At first, it was just from my room to the kitchen then back again. Sometimes I’d venture out to the front porch. Sometimes to the living room. But the thing that helped me most was getting outside my house. New scenery + new inspiration = better work ethic.

So where to go? In addition to drawing upon my own experiences, I’ve also spoken to a few other Rocklin students to get their take on the best places to study in Rocklin. So, in no particular order, here’s a list of some of the best study spaces nearby:

At Rocklin High School:

1. Rocklin High School Library

Although everybody’s been in here at least once, the library is a veritable treasure trove of resources. Obviously, the large tables for studying and private computers are nice, but the encyclopedias on the left-back walls are usually overlooked. Taking AP Psych? World History? Have an author to research or a speech to deliver? Entries on almost any available topic are there. (Also, it looks pretty good if you cite an encyclopedia as research… just saying.)

1. College and Career Center

The Center probably is not as well-known as the library, but still incredibly helpful. One benefit, though, is that you can listen to music or use your phone here, unlike the library.

Around Rocklin:

1. Origin Coffee and Tea

Private rooms in the back make for a great place to get group work done, and the large space makes for plenty of available seating. However, it can be crowded on the best of days, and if bumping into classmates isn’t your thing, you might want to find another space.

1. Rocklin Library

The Rocklin Library (off Granite Drive) not only has plenty of resources available for use, but is also is guaranteed to be quiet and calm. Private rooms are great for group work, and its tables sitting right next to large windows are an ideal study space. One concern, though, is that some find it difficult to concentrate without the background noise found in coffee shops.

1. Hoot Coffee

While Hoot isn’t as well-known as Origin, it still has the same artsy and modern flair. Although very good for studying during the week, (and, bonus: cupcakes are right next door!) Saturdays ought to be avoided due to its shared space with a party place right next door.

1. Edwin’s Coffee and Tea

A little out of the way, and mostly unknown, Edwin’s is quiet, relaxing, and best of all, features some of the comfiest chairs of all the places listed. Because it’s so small, though, it’s probably not the best place for group work or big study sessions.

1. Time and Space Boutique and Gatherings

Although technically located in Roseville, Time and Space caters specifically to people who are looking for a quiet center for work or meetings. Free to students, it’s practically guaranteed to be conducive to learning. One drawback? Their odd hours, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on most days, makes for a difficult schedule to work around.

Each and every one of these spaces provides a unique source of inspiration for students. Some are ultra-quiet, while others come with a hum of background noise. Some are farther away, others are just around the corner. But if you’re lacking motivation to study, a change of scenery might be just what’s needed.