A Whole New World

Allison Gerber

A new year, a new beginning. Most of us are just starting another year here at RHS, but some are entering a completely different environment. Exchange student programs have become popular over the years, leading RHS to accept a variety of different cultures and backgrounds onto its campus.

Junior Isabel Lostao is visiting here for an entire year from her home in Spain. So far she is fitting in fine and is enjoying her stay as well.

“I like it; it’s so different,” Isabel said. “There are a lot of clubs, sports, rallies, and dances. Back home it is much different.” In Spain, students are focused on their education and academics. The activities we have here at Rocklin are refreshing and exciting for students like Isabel.

“I am a bit lost in a few of my classes like history; in Spain, we did not really learn much about America, so it is all new to me,” Isabel explains. She excels, however, in the field of language. Her English is advanced and she is taking French III Honors this year.

Before she leaves, Isabel plans to improve her English as well as explore around California and savor her time here in the States.

Student Sanjana Ramanujam is also new to Rocklin High School. She moved from Chennai, Tamilnadu in India last summer.

“I did not like school there, so I was excited at the opportunity to come here,” she said.

Sanjana lived with her family in India until her father got a job here in California. She then decided to come with him while her mother and older brother stayed in her home country.

“School there was much more strict,” she said. “We weren’t allowed to wear makeup and had to wear uniforms every day.” She laughs at how all of the students here complain about the rules, because, compared to India, we have it easy.

Sanjana plans to ace all of her classes to get into a good college. She explained that a good education is very important and is one of the most important things you can acquire.  

Moving to an entirely new place can be scary. With new environments, languages, and cultures, adapting can be a challenge. However, it is not as bad as it appears, for these students have blended nicely into our big Rocklin High School family.