Your Story, Your School: Michael Trehan

Taking four AP classes seems daunting even for upperclassmen, but for freshman Michael Trehan, he tackles AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, AP World History and AP Language Composition with relative ease.

Beginning when he was in fourth grade, Michael started taking advanced classes. Once he entered seventh grade, he started taking AP courses, his first one being AP Computer Science. In fact, Michael skipped first grade because “the content was not appropriate for what [he] was studying.”

Many students experience the pressure from their parents to take advanced and college level courses, but Michael’s situation is opposite. His parents actually did not want him taking this many AP’s his first year in high school, but Michael persuaded them otherwise.

Despite having a heavy workload, Michael still makes time for activities outside of his classes. In his free time, Michael enjoys being outdoors, whether it’s mountain biking, hiking, or swimming. He is also on Rocklin’s speech and debate team and has created the Finance Club for students interested in personal finance education. Michael also gives back to the community by volunteering at elementary schools, sometimes tutoring the students.

It’s obvious Michael has so many opportunities ahead of him, but he actually has not pinpointed what he wants to do when he gets older.

“I haven’t really thought this through, but I kind of want to be a business leader or a political leader,” said Michael..

As for college, he is still indecisive. He expects to get accepted into a few Ivy Leagues or some of the more prestigious colleges on the west coast. He has not officially toured any colleges, but has visited Stanford, UC Berkeley, and Pepperdine.

Michael plans on taking as many AP courses as he can throughout high school, which he believes will be around 10-12 before he graduates. Despite his achievements and intellectual talent, he does not envision himself becoming valedictorian. Moving forward, his only goals for high school are “to learn, to prepare for college and life, and to have a good time.”