Rocklins Over the Top Attendance Standards

How Rocklins 90% attendance is Upsetting Seniors

With the end of the year approaching, seniors are struggling to fulfill Rocklin High Schools high standards of attendance.

Rocklin High School has a strict 90% attendance rate for the seniors at this school. Seniors must attend 90% of the entire school year in order to participate in end of the year activities, such as senior brunch and senior picnic.

Seniors are having issues with the strict attendance policies, and feel that they should be lowered to have similar standards to neighboring high schools.

Blythe Hardy, a Senior at Whitney High School said, “It’s really nice to not have any set amount of days I’m required to be at school. I feel like I don’t have to stress every time I’m sick or have a doctors appointment because it’s not gonna prevent me from being able to participate in any activities.”

Many students are questioning Rocklin’s motives for enforcing this policy.

“I think that it’s just a threat. I know a girl who misses like everyday and she still gets to walk (at graduation). I think it’s just a way to make money. They know that as senior we have less motivation to go so they played on that.”said an anonymous Rocklin High Senior.

With many classes decreasing the amount of work needed to be done for the end of the year, students are becoming increasingly upset over having to attend a class that’s not requiring work to be done.

“I am done with all my school work and I’m sitting in my classes for the next couple of weeks with nothing to do. Instead of sitting and doing nothing, I wanna be productive and working to make money, and continuing to make memories with friends who are not in my classes” said Rocklin High School Senior, Aly Cahoon.

“I feel like they should have the same standards as essential skills, pass or fail, 70%.” said Cahoon.

With graduation activities fast approaching, Seniors are taking extra precautions to make sure they are meeting that 90%, even if that means coming to school when they are sick.

Instead of students having to come to school in less than ideal situations, Rocklin High should be lowering their unrealistic standards to line up with other High School policies.