Alabama Bans Abortion

New Abortion Restrictions To Take Effect Later This Year

The 1973 Roe V. Wade Supreme Court case deemed abortion a constitutional right is still a source of heated debate today. Alabama, one of the most conservative US states, recently passed a bill limiting abortion rights.

“Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act…testament to Alamabians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God,” Alabama’s governor Kay Ivey tweets.

The Bill, which will take effect in November, will make abortion a felony offense except when giving birth would cause the mother health issues. Women receiving abortions would not be held responsible; the doctors who performed the abortion would be punished.

People’s reaction to the bill has been overwhelmingly negative.

“I think it’s kinda stupid…it’s the person’s choice to have a baby or not,” says freshman James Henderson.

“I feel like it shouldn’t be illegal. People should be able to do whatever they want,” says sophomore Anshu Patel.

“I feel as if everyone should be able to make their own choices and get no judgement on what they decide to do.The law…is outrageous because 25 men have said abortions should be illegal. I just think everyone should make their own choices depending on what has occurred,” says sophomore Layne Swenson.

“I think it is very disrespectful to us women,” says Freshman Yasi Najafi.

It is only a matter of time until the Human Protection Act is taken to the Supreme Court. Considering the conservative makeup of the Court, the outcome will be difficult to predict.