A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Rocklin High’s Head Football Coach resigns

On December 7th, U.S History teacher and former Head Football Coach, Mr. Greg Benzel, resigned from his position as Rocklin High School’s Head Football coach, effective immediately.

Benzel had been the Head Coach for the past 19 years and with the program since 1993.

“This decision was not an easy one to make, considering I have either played or coached football for 40 of my 50 years. However, it is the right decision for me and my family,” Benzel said.

Benzel’s resignation was so we would be able to fully support his wife, Mrs. Julianne Benzel, in her efforts to “pursue politics on a national level.” With football taking up much of Benzel’s time and efforts, he decided to resign from his position in order to fully support his wife.

Coach Benzel’s decision to step away as the Rocklin High School Head Football Coach is tremendous loss for our football and athletic program.  The level of integrity and character that Coach Benzel has brought is second to none and his absence will be surely missed. His legacy of Unity, Passion and Character will live on forever in the culture of our football community and beyond.  His 25 years of coaching has been a labor of love and Coach Benzel has been instrumental in shaping and developing student athletes over the past two decades,” stated a Press Release by Rocklin High.

Mr. Benzel has left a lasting impact on Rocklin’s football program and players. Some highlights from his time serving as Head Football Coach include three Section Championship appearances, along with a Section Championship and State Bowl berth in 2009.

“I have always appreciated the challenge of being a head coach, I have always loved the competition and the grind of the game itself, but mostly I have valued all of the relationships I have made over the years. Again, my heartfelt appreciation goes out to all of you.”

In the meantime, Rocklin High School will immediately begin looking for a new and highly qualified Head Coach that will be able to continue and build off of the legacy that Coach Benzel has left behind.