A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Rocklin High's Head Football Coach resigns

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

On December 7th, U.S History teacher and former Head Football Coach, Mr. Greg Benzel, resigned from his position as Rocklin High School’s Head Football coach, effective immediately.

Benzel had been the Head Coach for the past 19 years and with the program since 1993.

“This decision was not an easy one to make, considering I have either played or coached football for 40 of my 50 years. However, it is the right decision for me and my family,” Benzel said.

Benzel’s resignation was so we would be able to fully support his wife, Mrs. Julianne Benzel, in her efforts to “pursue politics on a national level.” With football taking up much of Benzel’s time and efforts, he decided to resign from his position in order to fully support his wife.

Coach Benzel’s decision to step away as the Rocklin High School Head Football Coach is tremendous loss for our football and athletic program.  The level of integrity and character that Coach Benzel has brought is second to none and his absence will be surely missed. His legacy of Unity, Passion and Character will live on forever in the culture of our football community and beyond.  His 25 years of coaching has been a labor of love and Coach Benzel has been instrumental in shaping and developing student athletes over the past two decades,” stated a Press Release by Rocklin High.

Mr. Benzel has left a lasting impact on Rocklin’s football program and players. Some highlights from his time serving as Head Football Coach include three Section Championship appearances, along with a Section Championship and State Bowl berth in 2009.

“I have always appreciated the challenge of being a head coach, I have always loved the competition and the grind of the game itself, but mostly I have valued all of the relationships I have made over the years. Again, my heartfelt appreciation goes out to all of you.”

In the meantime, Rocklin High School will immediately begin looking for a new and highly qualified Head Coach that will be able to continue and build off of the legacy that Coach Benzel has left behind.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “A Twenty-Five Year Legacy”

1. Judy Moon on December 8th, 2018 6:50 pm

What a tremendous loss for the students, the sports program and the school. Teachers of uncompromising integrity are few in the classrooms today. Kudos to Mr. Benzel for his example, his leadership and the best is yet to come.

2. Brenda J Nuetzman on December 9th, 2018 12:17 pm

My son had the honor to help Mr. Benzel coaching football. Anthony had nothing but positive words of Coach Benzel’s good character. Rocklin High School is and will be better because he was there. God Bless Mr. Benzel as he finds new challenges to take on after Rocklin High.

3. Amy Moyer on December 10th, 2018 7:14 pm

Greg! You were always such a great teacher and coach! The way our clouds worked, I was able to spend a solid four years getting to know you. I’m happy for your retirement and hope you enjoy life to the fullest! Best wishes and prayers to you and your beautiful family! ❤️Amy Moyer ‘98

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Local News

Logan Rafter, Forever In Our Hearts

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Entertainment

Football is Back

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Pop Culture

College Scandals: Fake It Til’ You Make It

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Entertainment

Dancing Shoes

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Entertainment

Metro Exodus: Another Great Narrative

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Local News

Extra Exhaustion

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Entertainment

Alita: Balance Angel

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Entertainment

The Joke Master

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Showcase

Tanking for Zion

• A Twenty-Five Year Legacy

Entertainment

Panic! At the Golden 1 Center

A Twenty-Five Year Legacy