Fall Ball: Offseason for Development

An extra season to prepare for spring

Andrew Woodward

Rocklin High School has a wide variety of sports. One of those sports is baseball. Normally, it starts after winter sports, in the spring. However, baseball offers a second season at RHS to get players ready for the real season in spring, called Fall Ball.

Fall ball is generally more relaxed than the normal season, with not as much rule enforcement with some games not having an umpire.

Fall ball is meant as a developmental league to give players the opportunity to get in extra work in the offseason and all levels are able to play (Freshman, JV, Varsity). However, it is not meant to be taken as a joke. Coaches expect their players to come to each game with full intensity.

There are around twenty games in the fall ball season, and each game is played against an assortment of teams, including those that are or are not in the SFL. Since wins and losses are not recorded in fall ball, games are occasionally stopped for coaches to address their players.

Since no cuts are made, the team’s rosters are packed. Varsity alone has over thirty players on their roster.

Normally, freshmen and sophomores play on the same team in fall ball. However, this year freshmen and sophomores have been split up into two teams, silver and blue. Splitting the two teams gives individual players a chance to play more and show their coaches how they react in real game situations.

In addition to fall ball, RHS has a summer ball program for varsity players with tournaments in Clovis and San Jose.

Overall, fall ball is a chance for coaches to develop their players and work in the offseason to prepare the team for spring ball. Fall ball may be calmer than spring baseball, however, players should take advantage of the opportunity to prove to their coaches that they’re up for the challenges spring ball might bring.