How to Make Homecoming Magical

The hype of homecoming permeates the Rocklin High campus this time of year. Every student is stressing about their dates, plans and attire.

The theme of this year’s homecoming adds more excitement because of our childhood memories of Disney movies and Disneyland. Rocklin’s homecoming does not just begin and end with the dance, as there are many components to enjoy the occasion.

First comes the theme and plan. The planning of homecoming started last school year =, months before the actual date. The Disney theme is being repeated this year, as it was the them four years ago as well. They had each class embody a different “land”: Fantasyland (seniors), Adventureland (juniors), Frontierland (sophomores) and Tomorrowland (freshmen). This year our Disney theme is characterized by different movies, such as Peter Pan (seniors), Aladdin (juniors), Lion King (sophomores) and Finding Nemo (freshmen).

Royal Court encompasses two nominees from each class, voted upon by their peers, to represent their class. For one week, a student can experience the dream we all once had when we were younger: to be a prince or princess. The freshmen prince is Jonathan Flowers and Madison Middleton as princess. The sophomore prince is Fotu Mokofisi and the princess is Shiloh Kluding. The juniors have Ryan Kostecki as their prince and Paige Powell as their princess. Finally, the three senior princes are Zachary Quittmeyer, Trent Peterson and Tucker Gandy. The three princesses are Monica Ourada, Gabby Reiken and Delanie Chrisman. On Friday night at the football game, the new king and queen of Rocklin High will be announced.

Spirit days for Homecoming, Runaway and Sadies are the fifteen days where nobody is judged by what they’re wearing, and can have a blast dressing up.

This year our Homecoming spirit days are global sports day on Monday, which means people dress like athletes. Your class can earn points by wearing any sports shirts or uniforms or even the color black.

Tuesday is Hollywood Studios; dress up like a tacky tourist or celebrity to earn points for your class. A white shirt will also count as spirit points. This is also one of the most nerdy days; socks and sandals, suitcases and hawaiian shirts are usually flaunted by the student body.

Wednesday is a new spirit theme day. It is Animal Kingdom day, so be sure to bring out your safari wear or green shirts.

Thursday is a coordinating theme day; it is all things Disney or wear a red shirt to gain spirit points for your class.

Friday is definitely traditional as it is Rocklin High School Spirit day. Wear your blue and silver because the first place winner is given gifts throughout the rally.

The rally is a production and ASB puts on a great show. It gives us the chance to let out our competitiveness and spirit for our grade and our school. At the end of every rally there are some disappointed students. RHS students push past that obstacle and become excited because they know what is going to happen that night.

The football game is another major production put on by ASB. Rocklin High’s actors build the suspense for the main event: halftime. Rocklin High’s king and queen of the year are revealed during the football game’s halftime. There are also the amazing performances of the dance and cheer team. Lastly, the hours spent on building four individual floats are put to the test. Each float represents four different movies. The seniors are Peter Pan, juniors are Aladdin, sophomores are The Lion King, and freshman are Finding Nemo. The floats are a test of creativity and craftsmanship. The predominant expectation is usually that the freshmen float comes last and the juniors or seniors are the only classes that win, but this could change on any given year. The football team, however, is not there to host these crazy performances, but are focused on battling it out for the win as usual.

Last comes the dance on Saturday night, with friends and music. Before the dance, comes the getting ready process and jitters. Next there are pictures, ending around 6 PM Then the food; either a restaurant or fancy food at home is common. Finally, there is the dance, at 8 PM; be there early to beat the line. Once inside the lobby, girls take their heels off, and store them in the theater. Guys take off their jackets or roll up their sleeves to dance the night away. When the night ends, students have had their share of laughs and drama and are ready to go home to prepare for the school week ahead.

Homecoming is full of memories students will all keep forever. After high school we may not remember every specific rally or football game or any other social, school event, but hopefully we will remember our four homecoming experiences. Rocklin High helps us create our own fairytale every year.