The Success of AP Lit

The Success of AP Lit

Currently, there are 73 students at Rocklin High enrolled in AP Literature and Composition, the class with one of the hardest advanced placement exams. Many students fail to pass the test every year around the nation. Last year however, Rocklin High’s AP Lit students really excelled with an almost perfect pass rate. Ms. Pilar Padilla, one of the two AP Lit teachers at Rocklin, reflects on the accomplishment of all students who received a passing score and the possible trend that has been set for this year.

Q: What is the actual passing rate for last year’s AP Lit test?

A: Last year, pretty much all of my kids passed the test, except for maybe a few. The rate was 99 percent, which was just off the charts.

Q: How is this number different from previous years?

A: Usually it’s in the 80th percentile; around 84 or 85 percent.

Q: What was your reaction to last year’s scores?

A: I was shocked and pretty surprised. Mostly though, I think it was because of the kids. They’re all very smart and they really did pull through.

Q: Do you believe this could be the beginning of a trend for AP Lit students, as far as passing rates go?

A: I really hope so. As the AP Lit teachers, we are always trying to better understand the students’ needs every year, so we can help them more. There’s a lot of good critical thinking skills in the kids.

Q: How many years have you been teaching AP Literature?

A: This is my eighth year.

Q: Will there be any changes you will be making to this year’s curriculum?

A: We always make changes every year. We make sure to add some new stuff and take out old material that might not be relevant anymore. It’s hard to do the same thing every year.

Q: What can students expect from this class?

A: Learn to think well and respond quickly, and to be able to feel confident about their thoughts and opinions.

Q: Is there anything you would change about the class?

A: The class sizes should be smaller. I have around 35 or more students in every class, when it really needs to be around 20.

Q: Do you have any tips for seniors who are hopeful of obtaining a 5 on the AP exam this year?

A: Come to class, don’t shirk any of the seminars. It’s extremely important to participate in discussions. Don’t rely on your peers to carry the conversation. It’s not an impossible class if you put effort into it.

The high AP Lit passing rate from last year is both a blessing and a curse for the students. “It’s definitely a positive thing. It makes you feel better about your chances, but at the same time, it means we have a standard to uphold,” senior Monica Hanle said. To all the students currently in the class, we wish you the best of luck and hope your hard work will pay off.