The V Buildings… Expanding the RHS Campus

The start of this new school year has come with all sorts of changes: new teachers, new scoreboard, new schedules and classes and, perhaps the most interesting, a new section of our campus. What the students at Rocklin High did not know about was the V-buildings, until this year.

The majority of students thought that the V-building was a part of Victory High School, but it’s a separate section of portables across the street from the office entry way. This new section is a big change not only for the students, such as junior, Caitlin Dozier, but it was also a big move for the teachers, like Mr. Paul Morrison, as well as the administrators.

Caitlin Dozier is a physics student and T.A.  that goes to the V-buildings every day.

Q:  Are you or your classmates often tardy because you have to walk off campus?

A:  Usually you get there when the one minute bell rings. It depends on what class you have, like I have dance, and I usually get here right as the bell rings.

Q: Do you mind walking over to the V-building every other day?

A: Well, I have to walk over here everyday because I also T.A. for this class, but it is easier on blue days because I have this class first period.

Q: What are the benefits for you while your classroom is in the V-building?

A: There are no distractions.

Q: The first day of school, were you able to successfully find the class on time?

A: People told me it was at Victory High School, so I thought I was going to have to walk all the way down there.  I took my time, and I followed people.

Q: When you looked at your schedule for the first time, what was your reaction like when you saw you were in the V building?

A: At first when I picked up my schedule is said G3.  I knew where that was, but on the first day of school it changed to V46.  I was kind of surprised because I didn’t really know where it was.  I felt like a freshman again.

Q: Would you rather walk the extra distance or stay on the actual campus? Why?

A: I would rather have it on campus because it is more convenient.

As our school grows each year comes with the change of new teachers and the expansion of our already 51 acre campus. Morrison gives us insight of the building change.

Q: Why did they add a new section to the campus?

A: As the school grows there are more portables. When Whitney was not open there were a lot more portables at Rocklin. I have not been in a portable before this year and I like it.

Q: How do you deal with tardies?

A: I have a heart rate monitor in my closet and test their heart rate to see if it’s high from being tardy. If not, I send them straight to the office. But, really, I just cut them a break.

Q: Do you let out your students earlier, so they have time to return to the regular campus? How early?

A: It’s classified; top secret. If I tell you I am going to have to kill you.

Q: Do you miss your old classroom? If so, what do you miss?

A: I don’t miss the room, but I miss the people. I miss the people that I used to teach with and that used to be around my room.

Q: Who moved into your old classroom?

A: Mr. Underwood moved to my old classroom in G3 teaching Biology to mostly freshmen.

Q: What are the benefits and/or disadvantages for you while your classroom is in the V-building?

A: I don’t have anyone to talk to because I don’t teach biology any more, and the sophomores, juniors and seniors leave for plus, so I work through lunch and get all my work done. Most freshmen need help adjusting to high school so I would have people to talk to during plus for the last few years.

Q: Which other teachers have moved to the V-building?

A: The ROP Fashion Design are over here because there are students from all over, Whitney and Del Oro,  and its easier for them to come to this campus. ILS kids are over here because most of them need help functioning so it is easier for them to be dropped off and picked up.

Q: Why did you move?

A: I’m not team teaching with anyone so it was easier for me to move. Team teaching where multiple teachers teach the same curriculum and their students do the same work at the same time. I am the definition of a loner.