Rocklin High School’s Garden

Trey Spencer, Staff Reporter

From growing enormous zucchinis to presenting lovely flowers, the RHS garden has a lot to offer.

Over time, Rocklin High School teachers have found multiple uses for the garden. The garden first started off as a resource for the culinary club, providing vegetables that they would dice and chop into beautiful dishes.

Mr. Kimmel has found gardening “… a calming thing to do and an enjoyable activity.” He said, “I am not the greatest gardener, I do kill plants.” Though he might not be the best gardener, Mr. Kimmel has noticed that gardening is a calming outlet that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Gardening can also give one an appreciation for life. When you’ve placed the seed in its bed you’ve carefully dug and tucked it in with the soil you’ve placed on top — the seed begins to grow. “When you see something go from a seed to a vegetable, watching it grow … it’s awesome,” Mr. Kimmel said.

Gardening at Rocklin High has given Kimmel a desire to see more of the world’s natural beauty he has yet to observe. Kimmel said, “I’d love to get to Patagonia [Chile] and South America, Australia, … New Zealand sounds super fascinating to me.” Snowcapped mountains mirrored by still waters are exactly what Kimmel is on the look out for.

As a school, we are enlightened by the small things that pull one another together as a community. “Now that everybody is back on campus and excited, I mean look around this room, people are happy to be back,” said Kimmel.

Whether students are sitting together in M5, gathering in the garden for the garden club, or gathering around the amphitheater for a performance, these are the small but important things that bring us together as a school.

“Seeing everything grow is so fascinating, I love seeing everyone work on something so creative without knowing what the final product might look like,” said one of the Garden Club’s strongest advocates, Izzy O’Connell.