Sprinting into Football Season

Rocklin varsity football’s first home game

Senior Grayson Barnes runs to the endzone in the first home game of the season. Captured by Jordyn Mendoza

Jerseys on, students in blue, band playing loud, with cheer and dance decked out in sparkles, football season has begun. 

Rocklin High School Football has played two games and kept up a winning streak of two.The first game, hosted by Antelope High School on August 30th, began their winning streak with a score of 35-7. 

With the first win of the season against Antelope, one of Rocklin’s goals is to “make playoffs and [have] a winning record in the SFL after a rough last year,” said varsity player Cole Strandberg.

Students came to support their peers, but the players hoped for a large student section at their first home game. Because it was the first home game of the season, the student section, known as “The Storm,” wore all black to create a “black out” effect to showcase their school spirit. 

Senior Jordan Andersen, said he hopes “we get a good crowd to come out and support,” for every game. If the community comes, Andersen said it would “allow the Rocklin community to come together and root for one team.” 

Franklin, who Rocklin played on August 30th, also won their first game with home field advantage. Strandberg describes Franklin as a “tough opponent” who they took on for their first home game.

Varsity Cheer, Dance Team and Marching Band performed at halftime to showcase what they have been working on. 

Senior Megan Davidson who has been on the Dance Team for four years said the Dance Team should provide “entertainment, excitement, love for our school and community and support.” 

Senior Mason Becker, said he thinks the team “really came together as a team and had great energy” which helped the team secure a win. He “felt great about [their] performance” and he expects to have a really great season with the new varsity team.

As a Sports Medicine student athletic trainer, senior Kendall Milligin, who has been part of the Sports Med program for three years, sees the team from the sidelines and understands their “great chemistry and flow on the sidelines.”

“There is constant communication with each other as players, but also with their coaches and the sports medicine team,” Milligin said.

After the first home game, Rocklin came out with a 44-7 victory. Many Rocklin residents came out to support to start off a supportive season.

With the communication, great energy and teamwork, Rocklin has kept up a winning streak in the first two games of the season.