Sports Briefs 10/23

Sports reviews for the week of 10/23.

JV girls golf poses with Whitney partners after the Friendship Cup.

JV Girls Golf

LAST WEEK: JV  finished second in the SFL finals (to Del Oro) with a 500 at Yolo Flyers GC and finished with the best record among league JV teams.

NOTABLE: On October 17, both the varsity and JV girls golf team wrapped up their season by having a Golf Olympics. The varsity players were judges for the JV team. The JVs were judged on their putting, chipping, and how far they could hit with their driver. In first place was Hana Jang, coming in second was Malaya Silverio, and placing in third was Kylie Pandis.

QUOTABLE: We asked, “What is the most fun part of being on the golf team?”

“Probably making new friends and meeting new people at matches.” – Helena Tran-Hagos

EVERYTHING ELSE: On October 18, the JV girls golf team finished their season by playing a “Friendship Cup” against Whitney at Whitney Oaks. Malaya Silverio and Allison Brunello were on the winning team.

Cara LeRossignol and Audrey Picart

Varsity Tennis

LAST WEEK : On October 16th, Rocklin beat Oak Ridge 6-3 securing the SFL title. On October 18th, varsity played their last match beating Whitney 7-2.

THIS WEEK: The team is now practicing for playoffs.

NOTABLE: The team clinched the SFL title after beating Oak Ridge 6-3 on Tuesday the 16th.

QUOTABLE: “Right now i’m excited for winning league, and making it to sections for tennis.”- Jaycie Savage

EVERYTHING ELSE: After the team won the SFL, they went to Dos Coyotes to celebrate.

Landen Dean, Sam Eckenburg, Jackson Minnick

Boys Frosh/Soph Cross Country

THIS WEEK: SFL Championship at Johnson Springview Park on Thursday, October 26.

NOTABLE: Certain members of the team are rabbiting a middle school XC meet at Granite Oaks Middle School on Wednesday, October 24.

QUOTABLE: “The most enjoyable thing I’ve done with cross country would be one race I had where it was raining and everyone was muddy.” – Matthew Li

EVERYTHING ELSE: The varsity boys cross country team went to the HOKA ONE ONE Postal Nationals Flagship Event at Jesuit High School on Wednesday, October 17.

Brandon Mick, Alex Bernstein, Jaret Eickman

Freshman Cheer

LAST WEEK : Freshman cheer cheered at their last home football game of the season against Del Oro.

THIS WEEK : Frosh game at Granite Bay Thursday.

NOTABLE : At their last home football game of the season, freshman cheer wore pink breast cancer shirts, bows, and socks.

QUOTABLE : “My most important thing in my cheer bag is hair ties because we have to always be tying our hair up so it doesn’t get in our way.” -Brianna Gunter.

Lauren Rose and Katelyn Newton

JV Boys Water Polo

LAST WEEK : Rocklin vs. Del Oro, Rocklin vs. Granite Bay 11-5

THIS WEEK: Rocklin vs. Oakridge (10/23) Rocklin vs. Whitney (10/25)

NOTABLE: The team won their games against Del Oro and Granite Bay last week, putting them in first place for the League Finals. If they win their two games this week, they will win the League for the season.

QUOTABLE: We asked, “How do you feel about it being the last week of water polo?”

“I’m bummed out that I won’t be able to play anymore. I really like water polo. It’s fun hanging out with everybody there, and once the season is over, it’ll be sad because I won’t be able to hang out with them anymore.” – Alex Bernstein

Marli Hutak, Kendall Lacker, Tabby Hogue

JV Cheerleading Team

LAST WEEK : Rocklin vs Del Oro (10/19/18) (Pink Out Game)

THIS WEEK: Rocklin vs Granite Bay (10/26/18)

NOTABLE: The JV Rocklin cheerleaders have been wearing pink these last days at school and at one of the games to show their spirit and support towards Breast Cancer.

QUOTABLE: “I loved wearing the pink for the pink out game because it is supporting Breast Cancer Awareness and I think it is a good change from the normal blue and white uniforms. I love it!” – Brianna Burns

EVERYTHING ELSE: Cheerleaders are preparing for their last football game of the season.

By Kaylee Mazon, Malia Damacion, Devyn Galia

JV Volleyball

LAST WEEK: Rocklin lost in 2 sets to Oakridge 19-25, 16-25; Rocklin won in 3 sets against Whitney 17-25, 25-22, 15-7

THIS WEEK: There are no games this week.

NOTABLE: Rocklin won against their rival Whitney.

QUOTABLE: “We listen to music before games, jamming out in the small gym.” – Megan Adams

EVERYTHING ELSE: Won their last game of the season against the rival Whitney Wildcats.

Jaylen Pickens, Zach Nigh, and Dylan Branco

Rocklin JV Football

LAST WEEK: Lost 28-31 to undefeated Del Oro

THIS WEEK: Play @ Granite Bay Friday night

QUOTABLE: “Our team brings a brotherhood, and we all have each others backs, no matter what.”-Taylor Wake. He described no matter if they win or lose, they will always be there for each other through the thick and the thin.

EVERYTHING ELSE: Mason Thomas and Matthew Preece are both not able to play against Del Oro due to their concussions, and Hunter Houser is now returning from his concussion injury and played against Del Oro.

Layne Swenson, Brad Mcwilliams, Teeg Slone, Justin Eklund