The Hate You Give Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Hate You Give Review

If there was an issue you were passionate about would you fight for it or hold back?

Out of 461 students surveyed at rocklin high school 221 students said they would and 84 said they wouldn’t.  

There are many ways people can fight for what they believe in or showcase it like writing books, artwork, ect.

Published in 2017, “The Hate You Give” is a realistic fiction book written by Angie Thomas, an African-American  from Jackson, Mississippi. This amazing book was written for young adults and teens depicting issues around police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement.

The main character, Starr Carter, witnessed the killing of her African-American friend by a White police officer. Khalil, Star’s murdered friend, was judged as a violent gang member based on where they grew up. People who knew him well knew the police used unjustified force on an unarmed black teen. Star’s passion behind justice for Khalil started a revolution in her neighborhood.

Growing up in a drug and gang infested neighborhood, Star was sent to a predominately white private school. Because she went here she was viewed as preppy or “too good” for her neighborhood.

This book has moved people all over America. But unfortunately, it was banned in the Katy, Texas school district because it repeatedly used the “N word.”  Instead of focusing on the context, school officials sent a message that some stories should not be told.

Police brutality and racial issues make some people feel uncomfortable, but these issues should not be ignored. Many communities are constantly affected by injustice and turning a blind eye never solved problems.

Out of 462 students at Rocklin high school only 12 students have said they read the book 378 said no, and 72 said they have heard of it.

The Hate You Give brings an awareness of the issues today’s society face. The author shows her readers that it’s okay to fight for what they believe. On October 19th, the movie version will be released in theaters.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “The Hate You Give Review”

1. Tijuana Barnes on September 28th, 2018 10:49 am

I remember asking the store clerk which book would be great for my daughter. He recommended this one for Gabby and now she’s leading the discussion. I’m so proud of you! – Love, Mommy

2. Jean Taylor on September 28th, 2018 11:59 am

Gabby, this review that you wrote on the book The Hate You U Give is magnificent. Mama is so very proud of you. Continue on with the passion you have for Black Lives Matter and even more importantly your schooling. You and your mother together can be a power house because you both have a passion for helping the downtrodden and Civil Rights Movement ect. Thumbs up to you!! I love you ❣️❣️❣️

3. Ellen Armstead on September 29th, 2018 6:14 am

I want to read the book.

4. PRICILLA PEREZ on January 27th, 2019 3:27 pm

I THINK MALINDA WILLIAMS, COULD HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB, AS THE MOTHER.

• The Hate You Give Review

Showcase

Postseason Without Lebron

• Showcase

Postseason Without Lebron

• The Hate You Give Review

News

Virginia’s Comeback

• The Hate You Give Review

Showcase

Sports Briefs 4.9.19

• The Hate You Give Review

Opinion

Social Media vs. Friendship

• The Hate You Give Review

Showcase

You’re Not Alone

• The Hate You Give Review

RHS News

Stunt Team

• The Hate You Give Review

News

ASB Prez

• The Hate You Give Review

Entertainment

Women in Music

• The Hate You Give Review

Showcase

Nostalgic Kids Shows

The Hate You Give Review