Cheer Changes

Changes are made to the cheer program at RHS

Cheer+Changes

Abbey Connell

The Rocklin High School Cheerleading program has made some exciting and new changes for this upcoming year. Ever since the program has started, with each year going by, there has not been dramatic changes to how it is run, keeping it very clean and traditional, but not this year.

One major change for the cheer program is the option to try out for any level. This year, a handful of the girls wrote down that they wanted to tryout for the team higher than what they would normally be placed in. This was exciting and shocking news for some, since that option was never available in the past, despite other high schools, like Whitney, allowing it. For Rocklin, the team placement depended in grade level.

With the new rule in play, three sophomores, flyer, Trinity Eli, backspot, Harmani Duckett and base, Brooke Robinson were able to score onto the Varsity Team for the upcoming season. With this being the first year for this new change, it is special that the three sophomores were able to make a team higher than their original grade level team.

Trinity spoke for the three saying, “We are all very excite and lucky that we were able to make varsity, but we will definitely miss cheering with our friends and for our class.”  

Another exciting change is the new coaching staff, the program has two more RHS Alumni coming into the program. Sierra Holland, 2017 Rocklin High graduate, is assistant coaching for the 2018-2019 Junior Varsity team. She had experience with cheer in her high school years , along with stunt season as well. Also, during the stunt season, she participated as the official filmer for the team, attending every game to make sure the team had film to watch for practice. Her experience in both of the cheer-related sports led her to the desire to continue as a coach.

Sierra shares her excitement, “I am super excited to still be involved with the school after graduating last year, we have a really great JV team this year and I can’t wait for what is to come!”

Along with Sierra, the program will be adding, graduating 2018 senior, Cydnie Leclaire, to the coaching staff, as an assistant coach for the Freshman team. Since Cydnie has also had multiple years of experience in cheer and stunt, she is a perfect match for coaching for the upcoming season. With her college choice of Sacramento State, she will be staying local, so she decided to continue her cheer leading journey as a coach.

“I wanted to give back to the program that helped me learn so much, not only about cheer, but life lessons and things that I use in my daily life. Being a Freshman assistant coach is something that I never really thought about, but now that I am an official part of the coaching staff, I know this is a perfect decision for me,” Cydnie says.

With all of the exciting and new changes to the Rocklin Cheer program, everyone is looking forward to a successful and great season!