Will Students Push Their Limits with the New Dress Code?

Days before the start of the school year, the student body heard mumblings of a possible change: a change in the dress code, which had originally been introduced at the school’s opening. Soon, the news was all over social media; students were asking questions on Facebook and Twitter, wondering if, at last, the dress code they had lobbied to change was finally gone.

On the first day of school, their questions were answered. Students roared in appreciation upon Principal David Bills announced that this school year, students would be allowed to wear tank tops — with some restrictions.

According to the discipline office, tank tops must be “at least 1 inch … thick, and the arms holes [can] not extend more than 3 inches down the torso.” Furthermore, racerback tank tops, bandeaus, spaghetti straps, and cami’s are all strictly prohibited.

The process had been long in the making, beginning with a petition passed around during the first semester of last year signed by students. Following this, students Janessa Lazar and Jaymi Boynton spoke both with Bills and the school district. Their efforts ultimately cultivated in the well-received change at the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year.

“I really liked the dress code change this year because I can express myself better through my wardrobe without constantly worrying about getting dress coded. I think that this was a great change for the school as a whole.” said junior Holly Petersen.

Despite a generally positive student reaction, the change has not been completely smooth; indeed, the discipline technicians had not been aware of the change until the first day assembly.

“I’m happy that the kids got together and made a change at the school, but I’m not all too pleased about this change as it was kind of thrown at us,” said discipline technician Karen Cox. “Actually, I think that some students knew before we did. Before the rally on the first day, I dress coded a girl wearing a tank top. I found out a little while later that tank tops were actually now allowed, and I felt awful.”

Indeed, this transitionary period has already resulted in some difficulties, partly due to the miscommunication.

“There have definitely been more infractions. This dress code is not as easily defined; students seem to think that they can just wear whatever tank top they want, but in reality there are more restrictions and details. I think that during the assembly, students heard Mr. Bills say that tank tops were allowed and then they just started cheering and didn’t hear the rest of the clarifications,” said fellow discipline technician Mr. Paul Reynoso. “Again, this is a transition period and I think that once we are more educated about this change, things will be smoother.”

It is undeniable that students are not completely clear on what this new dress code means for them, and how exactly to interpret it. This can be expected with any change, especially one that affects student life as directly as the dress code does. However, with time, students will undoubtedly better understand the boundaries and regulations.