Changes in the Front Office

The removal of class rank and new class requirements

Back to Article
Back to Article

Changes in the Front Office

Emma Conway

Change is brewing in administration. Among  these changes include the school deciding not to consider class ranks in transcripts, as well as the class schedule requirements shifting.

For most students, class rank doesn’t mean much. It is a number on your transcript that you think about once and send off to college. The only ones who benefit from it are students ranked at the top.

“Ranking can be a detriment to strong students getting into the college/university of their choice,” states the school newsletter.

Principal Mr. Davis Stewart feels that class rank puts undue pressure on students to take more classes and stress themselves out in order to get a better rank.

“We feel that in some cases, it’s a detriment to student’s well being to have this pressure to take another AP class to get a weighted to grade, so they can raise their class rank,” says Mr. Stewart.

Additionally, a lot of colleges have actually stopped asking for class rank, or are just not accepting them anymore. The number is not an accurate reflection on the student’s academic capabilities.

Another change and one that will be upsetting to a small population of students, is the removal of what is considered to be a senior privilege.

Being allowed to have a six class schedule as a senior could only previously have been done if the student was on track to meet Rocklin High School’s graduation requirement.

Now, a student must meet A-G requirements in order to not have eight classes on their schedule. A-G requirements are the courses needed to be accepted into a UC or a CSU.

One way that A-G requirements differs from Rocklin’s graduation requirements is that it wants an additional year of foreign language.

While a lot of the requirements are the same, the ones that are different can put a strain on students.

Sophomore Annalise Dagenbach says, “I just don’t understand how it will benefit anyone. It seems pretty pointless.”

For students who have no intention of going to college, this could be quite a disappointing change.

“We would never want to punish students. Having every student college/and or career ready, even if it’s to a junior college, that will help them,” says Mr. Stewart.

However, students can “opt out” of this if they meet with a counselor and an administrator.

These changes, while not affecting all students, are something to think about as class sign-ups begin.