Rest Easy Ryan

Remembering a student leader

Adarsh Venkat

Adarsh Venkat

A loss is one thing, two within a three month span is as devastating as it is unfathomable. On Saturday, junior Ryan Rockey suffered a traumatic brain injury around dusk. It was not until Sunday that it became clear that the injury was beyond recovery. His passing was announced to students and their families on Sunday night. He was only a junior and was an active leader in ASB.

“Ryan was an integral part of student government within his technology committee,” reflects activities director, Mr. John Thompson. “More importantly I think he was going through a fantastic evolution as a leader and person. He was starting to take on a more leadership role outside of details [regarding] his committee.”

Besides ASB, Ryan was a noted figure at RHS and contributed to campus culture. CSF and Thunder Galleria were just a few of the programs that he influenced.

Outside of school, Ryan had an entrepreneurial spirit and tried to start a PC personalization business, called Lavish PC, with several friends last year. He was also fascinated by aviation.

Ryan was well-traveled and had the opportunity to visit places such as Japan and China. On Sunday, Mrs. April Kenitzer shared a memory on Twitter after having him as a student in AP World History.

“Last year Ryan Rockey sent me a simple message while he was traveling in Japan. He thanked me because he said he loved knowing the history behind the place he visited. That simple message made an impact on my life. I never told him how much that meant to me. Rest easy Ryan.”

In this time of tragedy, it is encouraged that students reach out to one another as RHS recovers from this loss. Counseling services are available for any student in need of support.

A service for Ryan will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, November 17 at St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church. Following the service there will be a 2 p.m. reception.

In addition to the service, the Rockey family has created a memorial scholarship that anyone can donate to. To donate, a check can be made out to RHS or mailed to AIM Mail Center 79, 3031 Stanford Ranch Road, Suite 2 #205, Rocklin CA 95765.

Ryan had chosen to be an organ donor.So even after his passing, Ryan continued making an impact on other people’s’ lives.