A Rainbow of Performances

Seniors take their final bow in One Person Shows

It is a theater kid’s dream to be the lead, to write their own show and to have the public rave about it, and in Theater IV, students are given that exact opportunity.

Theater IV students, throughout the course of the year write their own OPS, or one person show. Though most shows involve a cast of several people, each student has the daunting task of writing an original script, casting their show, organizing rehearsals, creating lights and sound and starring as the lead. True, not just one person is involved, but it is clearly one person wearing all the hats.

And last week, their OPS’s were shared with the world, a culmination of all of their efforts in theater. And let me tell you, none of their efforts were disappointing.

On Monday, the bar was set high with lighthearted comedies and horrors from Maddie Horton, Nicole Cartan, Tucker Moore and Sarah Ehrhardt. On Tuesday, the genres and tones were incredibly varied; from comedic to ironic to philosophical to thrilling, all thanks to Paige Tucker, Isabella Rovai, Brandon King, and Andrew Tindall. On Wednesday, car crashes, grief and goats took the stage with Jon McClure, Sophia Kleinfelder and Aimee Rivera.

The second half of the week finished out just as strong as it had started. On Thursday, a “rainbow” of optimism and topicality shone through the works of Cassie Kindley, Ceara Clementi and Marissa Oslick. On Friday–as senior Clayton Barnack himself puts it–were the “comedic and irreverent” performances of Clayton, Steven Abramowitz, Marley Bauer and Aaron Cain. And on Saturday, Amelia Breedlove, Shayna Frink, Kylie Fujii and Ali Snider closed out the week with drama and offbeat comedy.

Truthfully, the best aspect of OPS’s is how beautifully homegrown they are. Everyone in the cast, crew and class helped pitch in to make all 22 shows incredible. Whether it be to donate a prop, help read lines or fill an entirely new role the night before a show; the willingness to help classmates out is epitomized by the OPS’s. And on the night of the shows themselves, sure, a line or two was missed or a light cue was dropped, but the audience for each night remained consistently ecstatic and supportive. Yes, these one person shows are a part of these students’ grades, but they represent so much more. To theater kids, they are a celebration: of the seniors, of their efforts at Rocklin High, of theater.

So take your bow, seniors.

You have more than earned it.