Seasonal Depression

Feeling Down as the Temperature Drops

Seasonal  Depression

Ashley Plaff

During winter, Rocklin can be a very confusing time for some, and adjusting to the intermittent weather can prove to be difficult. The weather here can never seem to decide if it’s dress or scarf season. While many students are very excited about the drop in temperature, the shorter and more gloomy days can put a damper on students’ moods.

However, many students are not cognizant of the fact that this is actually a serious issue people deal with. This is called Seasonal Affective Disorder and is most common with people 14 and older. So chances that it is present at RHS are high.

When a person experiences a type of depression every year around the same time, it is generally a good indicator that they may be dealing with SAD. Challenges a person may experience can be anything from anxiety and lack of energy, to trouble concentrating or weight change.

If a person consults a doctor, there are lots of available treatment options such as talk therapy or medications. A person attempting to deal with this on their own should make sure they get enough exercise and designate time for themselves everyday.

Although this issue may play a prevalent and overbearing part in some people’s lives, in others it may appear in more subtle ways.

RHS continuously strives to create an environment where students can be honest about what their dealing with and get the positive encouragement they need.

When asked how the weather affects them, students answered in a variety of different ways.

“When the trees don’t have leaves on them it makes me feel sad, because the atmosphere is so dreary. Sometimes I miss school, because I feel so sad with the cold weather,” said an anonymous senior.

The weather can often bring down students’ moods for a multitude of reasons.

“It’s harder to be creative with my outfits when it’s cold, because it just encourages me to wear sweatpants, and my style plays a big part on how I feel,” stated junior Josette Burroughs.

It is definitely a recurring theme that the frosty weather leaves students less motivated.

“During the winter I take more naps, but I feel guilty for not being as productive as I could be,” admitted junior Abby Conway.

Knowing that students are dealing with a lack of incentive to accomplish the tasks they’re responsible for, we can learn from the techniques they use to stay determined.

“I try my best to focus and know that winter break is coming soon,” explained junior Baylee Chelossi.

One way students keep their mood elevated is just remembering to stay warm and cozy.

“When I’m at home I usually walk around with a blanket and that makes me happy,” said sophomore Pearl Burton.

So, keep in mind this season that no matter how the weather has been affecting you, it is important to know that you are not alone. Here at RHS we must remember to be there for each other and never stop encouraging our peers.