Are Couches Doomed?

Fire Marshal Regulations Prohibits Couches.

Ashley Pfaff

This year it was brought to the attention of the Rocklin High School Staff, by the newly hired fired marshal, that their classrooms were not in compliance with the Fire Safety Code. This included having too many posters on the wall and their couches.       

This is because there are different laws regarding commercial and residential furniture standards. Every furniture company is required to follow certain regulations when creating their products. So all couches are made with flame retardancy qualities.

However, because Rocklin High School is a public setting there are further requirements that all furniture must meet.

The truth is that the couches have never met the flame retardancy standards, but because a new fire marshal was hired the policies were more strictly enforced.

This ensued an angry uproar among the teachers, as they believed it provides their students and Teachers Assistants with a stress free environment they can rely on.

Mrs. Amber Tillery commented, “Mental health is very important on this campus, and I believe it is important for students to have a safe place to come to that can relieve their stress.”

Another teacher to speak up on the matter was Mr. Tim Hurrianko saying, “It’s nice to have a place for our TAs to sit. They have worked their way up and earned their spot, and we all know that the desks are not a comfortable place to sit.”

So the big question is, are the couches staying or leaving?

Well, the good news is that as long as the couch itself meets the flame retardancy standards, the teacher may keep it in their room. Thanks to Mrs. Jerica Siska’s persistent research, she found the solution. Flame retardancy spray. As long as the couches are sprayed with a type of fire retardancy, then they meet the standards, meaning no more getting rid of couches.