Plus Period

Plus Later in the Year.

Josue Sanchez

Rocklin High School provides each student with many opportunities to complete their class work during school hours. One way to help the students is by creating an educational workshop called a plus period. This period occurs before lunch, and is used to accomplish the big loads of homework students receive everyday.

However, this year, plus period will be arriving one month later than expected. This is because of all the time wasted and poor habits from students who do not want to be in plus, but are obligated stay because they are failing two or more classes.

Mr. Mark Douglas, the Assistant Principal of Rocklin High School, came up with this decision with the Intervention Committee, in which they all realized that the loss of instructional minutes from plus should rather be used for classes to help the students and staff get more work done.

“There’s not a lot of one-to-one connection with the student and teacher when plus is early,” said Mr. Douglas.

Adhering to this decision will not only give the staff and students more learning time in class, but will allow the students to relieve their big work loads with less struggle. This solution will also help students not fall behind with their work, and to consistently use their time for extracurricular activities.

Progress reports will come out Sept. 9th, and the first plus will be Sept. 13th. Plus will operate the same, the only difference being is that there will be separate planned schedules for many days of the year, such as assembly days and minimum day schedules. Freshman, of course, are going to have to stay in when plus starts for the first quarter, date to be announced.

“We didn’t foresee this decision,” said Douglas.

This resolution pertains to all class levels.

Overall, the staff and administration will do whatever it takes to help their students strive for success. They will always give options and opportunities to every student to finish their work and to be involved with many activities at school. Their determination in education not only helps the students prosper in their talents, but lets the administration and staff know that their work is very much appreciated.