Exploring Computer Science

RHS will offer a new introductory course in the computer science field next school year.

Karl Danielsen

Three years ago, Mr. Geoff Clarion started an AP Computer Science class at Rocklin. At the time, he only wanted to give his son something to be passionate about. He never expected what’s happening now.

Most people know about the new Computer Science class that Mr. Clarion will be teaching, AP Computer Science Principles. However, that isn’t the only new addition to Rocklin’s computer-related curriculum. Starting next year, freshman will have the option to take a class called “Exploring Computer Science.”

The class will be taught by Mr. Paul Werner, the multi-talented teacher who already handles sophomore chemistry classes, AP chemistry students, girls soccer, science olympiad, and the school’s CSF program. Now, on top of that, he’s taking classes to teach this new course.

“The class itself was developed at UCLA, but now it’s used nationwide,” explained Mr. Werner. He seemed excited about teaching computer science.

“In college for a while I had some programming classes,” he said. “[And] at each school I’ve worked at, I’ve helped with technology… to some degree.”

Getting back into computer science seemed like a natural step, so when the administration approached him about teaching the new class, he quickly agreed.

So what exactly is Exploring Computer Science about? Well, to keep it brief, the class will focus on teaching the basics of how computers work, along with how to use them to their maximum potential.

Mr. Werner says, “There is a small section of coding in there, but it’s not a coding class.”

Even though Exploring Computer Science is a science class, it will be a G elective, and will not replace biology or health. Despite this, it’s still certainly a worthwhile class to take. Patrick Craighead, a Senior in AP Computer Science, believes the new class is a good thing.

“Computer Science is interesting,” Patrick said. “But in the class I struggled a lot. It would have been nice to have an introductory course.”

With everything from basic coding to explanations of how internet networking works, the class will serve as a great introduction for students interested in taking Rocklin’s AP Computer Science courses later on. However, this isn’t just a class for future CS majors. The skills and knowledge from the class should be useful for anyone interested in learning more about the machines that arguably run our world.

To finish, I’ll dispel a rumor that’s been humming around the underclassmen recently: Exploring Computer Science is not a prerequisite for AP Computer Science. However, it still seems like a great class to take, and like a great addition to Rocklin high’s curriculum.