New Changes Coming in Fall 2016

Rocklin District makes adjustments to next year’s schedule

City of Rocklin

City of Rocklin, Rocklin High School

Allison Gerber

Most students are already considering this school year as good as over, so it is time to start thinking about what next school year’s schedule will bring. Students find themselves barely pushing through each school day and just can’t wait for the weekends and breaks.

The district is taking this into consideration, which is why this next school year will be outlined differently than the current one.

This year, winter break started on December 21, but next year it will start on December 23. The later start to winter break will put a time crunch on students who need to get holiday shopping done. Students get off with just two days before Christmas in comparison with last year when there were four days before Christmas.

We will be returning from winter break on Mon. Jan. 9, 2017 instead of January 4, which was when we returned from school this year in 2016. This means there will be three additional days in winter break for the 2016-2017 school year, and we will start the second semester in the second week of January.

In 2016, we had President’s Day off of school on Feb. 12 and 15, giving us a four day weekend. In February 2017, we will be getting an entire week off of school instead of just two days.

This will open up opportunities for students to do any traveling or sports tournaments without missing school. Also, it will be a good break from all the hard work that school brings, and make it easier to push through to spring break.

This president’s week break will cause spring break to start at a later date as well. Spring break for next year will also be pushed back to April 10 as opposed to this year’s, which begins on March 21. This is a two week suspension of this break, and will continue to be the same length of five days as it has always been.

The last day of school this year is scheduled for June 2, 2016. However, due to the increased amounts of days off of school in the next school year, the last day of school in 2017 will be moved to June 8.

While this may not be as much of a concern to current seniors, the rest of students should be excited for these changes. With more frequent breaks we will find it easier to enjoy our school year and not stress about the long chunks of school that cause students so much anxiety.