Runaway Week and Delta Squad: RHS Tradition

Runaway week kicks off the second semester and includes memorable Delta Squad performances.

Allison Gerber

As winter break comes to a close, the only thing many students want to do is run as far away from school as possible, which is why the perfect name for this first week back is runaway week.

Runaway week consists of five dress up days. Additionally, each day features the traditional 3v3 basketball tournaments during plus and lunch. There are also other traditions such as common court, which is similar to homecoming royal court. However, Rocklin High teachers rather than students are nominated and then voted on for each class.

At the end of the week, a runaway rally is held and includes games, spirit competitions and performances.

“The Runaway rally, along with runaway week, is a great way to get students excited about coming back to school after winter break,” ASB Spirit Commissioner Baylie Gillis explains. “Each one of the spirit commissioners has worked hard to make this rally as exciting as possible; I don’t think this rally will disappoint.”

The Runaway rally features one of the most exciting cheer routines of the year, Delta Squad. Delta consists of the varsity cheerleading team and any junior or senior boys that volunteer to temporarily join the team for this performance.

The Delta Squad performs at both the Runaway rally as well as the varsity basketball game for that week (in this case, at the Del Oro game).

The varsity cheer team spends the first week teaching the boys basic safety procedures that come with stunting and catching the girls. Later, counts are added and the routine is practiced until everyone can do it in uniform.

This year, there will be two boy flyers, juniors Colton Graves and Shane Kumararatne. They have to put their trust literally in the hands of their bases and backspots as they are lifted from the ground.

“I definitely haven’t done anything like it, the first day I was super scared when I went up because of how high I got, but since the first day I have become pretty comfortable with flying and trusting my group which has led me to get a lot better,” Colton said.

After the stunts are all set up and finalized, it is time to teach the dance and jump sequence, which is the perfect opportunity for some of the guys to show off their moves.

Senior Chris Meeks is returning for his second year of delta squad after thoroughly enjoying his experience as a junior.

“It was really fun performing the final product for the school and at the basketball game [last year]. I’ve always loved performing dance. Last year it took a while to get the technique down, and this year I knew exactly how to do everything, so it came much easier,” Chris said.

Only the varsity cheer team does this routine, meaning that only junior and senior girls are able to partake in Delta Squad. For most of the seniors, this will be their second time doing this routine.

Senior Allie Souto said delta squad is “one of the best parts of the year, it is always fun to see how into it all of the boys get! I will miss it next year.”

Even though the school week comes to an end on Friday with the rally, the spirit week still continues. Due to the Del Oro basketball game on Friday evening, the Runaway dance has been pushed to Saturday night instead. The dance will be on Sat. Jan. 9, from 8 to 11 p.m.

There is nothing better than a fun-filled week to kick off the new year and a new school semester. Traditions like these are what make Rocklin High School unique, and will only continue to grow as the years go on.