No More Power to the Powder

No More Power to the Powder

Lucy Peltz

The Storm is still coming but with different surprises for homecoming. With the 2015 football season in full swing, many students are ecstatic to be attending the home football games again.

However, when Rocklin played Del Campo on Sept. 4th, the band section was less than enthused. The students in the cheering section threw baby powder up into the air at halftime, and while it riled the spirit of the Rocklin students, it had a negative impact on the pep band playing at the game.

After the students threw the baby powder into the air, the wind blew it over into the band section. Band students couldn’t see their music and every time they went to breathe while playing their instruments, they would just inhale powder.

“I was trying to breathe in and I was breathing the baby powder, so it was hard to get air to play, and at the same time it was getting into my eyes, I couldn’t read my sheet music,” said band member McKenna Crowe.

On top of that, McKenna says that she was focused on wiping the baby powder off of her trumpet and music for the next ten minutes. McKenna was not the only band student displeased with the baby powder, many of the other band members and parents were not happy either.

“Mr. (Tom) Douglass told us that a lot of the parents complained to the school about the baby powder,” McKenna said.

And rightfully so, baby powder contains talcum powder. Talcum powder is made from a mineral called Talc, which is made up from magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. If inhaled enough, it can cause chronic lung irritation, also known as talcosis.

Although there were many band students who did not like the baby powder, there were students in the cheering section who enjoyed it.

“I liked it. It was fun; it really raised the level of spirit,” said Madison Chase.

With the health risks involved in using the baby powder and band members unable to play their music effectively, administration has stepped in and banned the practice. According to Storm leader Chad Medd, the spirit organization has much safer, exciting tricks up their sleeves.