Lights, Camera, Homecoming

RHS gears up for Homecoming week 2015.

Courtney Langstrom

Homecoming at Rocklin High School is known for its awesome spirit week, numerous lunch time games, exciting rally, eventful football game, and incredible dance to finish it all off. With so much happening, students may find it hard to keep track of everything.

The week of Homecoming begins on Tuesday Oct. 13 due to a Staff Development Day on Monday. Tuesday’s dress up theme is Netflix day: students can wear their pajamas or dress in red. Wednesday is Hollywood day, so students can dress up as a celebrity or dress for the red carpet. Students will also receive points on Wednesday for wearing black. On Thursday, students dress according to their class theme. Freshmen are Jaws, sophomores are Back to the Future, juniors are Wizard of Oz, and seniors are Grease, or everyone can wear white. Friday is a spirit day, so everyone wears blue.

The Homecoming rally will also be held on Friday, which will result in a different bell schedule.

There will also be lunch games from Tuesday through Thursday. Participants can earn spirit points for each their class. The ASB Spirit Committee, headed by senior Karly Avvakumovits, is responsible for the spirit week, the rally, and the lunch games.

The homecoming football game is on Friday, and RHS will be facing up against Woodcreek. One of the main events at Friday’s football game is the halftime show, which is directed by ASB’s Special Programs Committee headed by senior Claire Tooley. It contains performances by the RHS cheer and dance teams, the parade of class floats around the track, and the crowning of the homecoming king and queen. Due to fire safety in a time of drought, the halftime show will not include fireworks.

The floats shown at Friday’s games are made during the week by students. Information each classes’ float construction has been sent out through the text message service. New this year, students will not be able to leave school to work on floats and floats may not be worked on after 7:40 a.m. on Friday.

RHS will finish the week with the semi-formal Homecoming dance, which is put on by the ASB Activities Committee commissioned by senior Brittany Kimmel. Dance tickets go on sale a week early this year. They cost $12 with an ASB card and $15 without one. Ticket prices will go up the Friday before the dance and will cost $20 at the door.

RHS students put Homecoming together every year for the entire campus to enjoy. There are so many activities throughout the week for students to get involved in.

What makes Homecoming at RHS unique? Mr. Thompson put it rather simply: “We’re Rocklin.”