Shed Some Light on the Subject

Shed Some Light on the Subject

Connor Bolli

Every year, Rocklin High School brings something new to campus. New programs, new technologies and new ideas flood incoming and returning students.

This year, one large change was the introduction of campus-wide LED light use. LEDs are becoming more common, and are known for being longer-lasting and cheaper to run than more traditional bulbs.

However, the school-wide installation of new light fixtures has some questioning whether the cost would be worth the effect.

“I like the new lights, but they seem like a waste of money that could be used in other ways,” says junior Gregory Keyser.

While money was spent on the upgrade, the lights do have their advantages.

According to Bill Pruett, energy education specialist for the Rocklin Unified School District, the lights were possible due to Proposition 39, which established a fund for energy efficient projects in California school districts. Many of the old lights were original from Rocklin High’s founding in 1993, meaning that an update was due.

Also, the new lights will save the school quite a bit of money yearly. “We will see an annual savings of approximately $70,200. That does not account for the labor savings from less maintenance,” says Mr. Pruett.

The new lights,being entirely LED, allow a life of over 10 years and require far less maintenance than the older lights.

However, while energy efficient, the LED lights can be a toxicity hazard. A 2010 study found that LEDs contain lead and arsenic. These hazards, though, are not an issue as the LED would have to be broken and inhaled to even begin to cause issues.

While the lights were a change in the classroom, they were entirely worth the money. The funds, drawn from Proposition 39, did not hurt Rocklin High at all. The lower maintenance and operating costs save the school money that can be used on other projects and events.

While the change may be jarring to some, the benefits of the new light fixtures far outweigh any losses.