Your Story, Your School: Megan Sundberg

Your Story, Your School: Megan Sundberg

By the time high school rolls around, many students stop participating in club sports because they are too busy with school work and the high intensity level that comes with playing high school sports. Few students, like Megan Sundberg, still continue to play club sports.

Megan plays on the U17 Galaxy Blue Strikers, and has been playing soccer for eleven years now. She spends over 10 hours a week playing soccer, as she has three practices a week and sometimes up to four games in a weekend. To Megan though, it is not a burden.

“I’ve grown up loving the game,” Megan said, “I have ‘too many to count’ favorite parts about playing soccer.”

Some girls decide to forgo playing club soccer to play for RHS, but Megan finds that club soccer is more competitive and requires more dedication, so she would rather play for the Strikers. She loves being able to see all her and her teammates’ hard work pay off when they beat tough teams and win tournaments. She also enjoys meeting and becoming friends with other girls from different schools in the area.

Since Megan has been playing since she was six, she believes it has shaped her into the person she is today.

“It has given me confidence and the knowledge that it is okay to make mistakes and to never give up,” said Megan.

Playing club soccer is a family affair in the Sundberg household, as her father and brother both love the sport just as much as Megan does. All of her life she has dreamed of being as good of a soccer as her dad.

Although she is not planning on playing at Utah State, where she will be attending in the fall, she plans to play for fun in an adult club league.

“I cannot imagine my life without soccer,” Megan said.