Spreading the Love

Spreading the Love

Hundreds of kind acts go unappreciated every day in Rocklin. Doors are held and compliments are given, but not all actions are met with a “thank you.”

The counseling department here at RHS recently opened up a Twitter account with the handle @RHSrandomacts. It lets students from RHS tell everyone about the good things they’ve seen in people.

This gives students the opportunity to say how they feel about their peers and teachers. This can bring students closer together, forming a better community for our campus as well as spreading kindness amongst each other.

For example, some of these tweets are: “Mrs. Omelia is the best teacher I have ever had and deserves a permanent job at RHS! She makes class fun and always has me smiling” and “Can we just take a moment to appreciate Ellery Watkins? She is such an inspiration and the sweetest thing!”

Messages are contributed by students anonymously and screened for school appropriateness. This is meant to prevent inappropriate or cruel messages from being automatically posted to the page.

The page is handled by Rocklin’s peer counselors and is meant to spread thankfulness and cheer around campus. Overall, students and staff are pleased with the program.

“I think it’s good because, for certain kids to thrive in an environment, they need positive things in their lives. Because it’s nice to hear someone say something nice about you,” said Sophomore Kaiulani Kawamoto.

However, there are students who have never heard of the account while some don’t even have a Twitter. There are a number of students that  don’t think this will make an impact on our school.

“I feel that people think they should change, but they won’t, because they’re too lazy to make the effort,” said Sophomore McKenna Crowe.

The RHS counseling Twitter overall is an effort toward a more positive campus. If people were more thankful, the environment on campus could benefit students. If the attitude is maintained, it may soon be reflected in students themselves.