Rocklin Sets Another Standard

There have been plenty of rules that don’t seem to have a point (like the “cover your shoulders” rule in the past), but the re-enforced rule about staying inside the blue line takes the cake.

This rule is in place to make sure no one goes outside the fading blue lines around campus. This means no hanging out in your regular lunch spot for some people or for others, no going to teachers’ classrooms.

It is understandable that the rule is in place to keep us safe and out of trouble, but to restrict where we are during lunch and break is absurd considering the fact that most of us are almost adults.

The rule is especially unreasonable when it comes to clubs meeting in classes outside the blue line and in the occasion of a teacher stepping out for a moment. Clubs need to meet and not being able to because it is outside the blue line is ridiculous. If they can’t meet because a teacher can’t stay inside the classroom the entire time, how are people supposed to hold meetings? It is unfair to the students who run the club because they take the time to plan meetings as well as unfair to the teachers who advise the club since they give up their lunch/break to allow kids to have meetings.

The rule is also an extreme considering the students who want/need to practice their specific sport. If they have to practice yet cannot cross the blue line, it seems unfair to the people who need to get to their practices, especially when the supervision of the assistant principal is required in order to get to the said practice. Administration should trust us to actually get to where we say we need to be because there are consequences when an athlete skips.

”There’s a lot of people that enjoy going to the theater/ the gym during school hours. Especially with the dance show going on, it’s really inconvenient not being able to go to the locker room to prepare or practice for it,” said an anonymous survey taker.

It makes sense to restrict certain parts of campus like the football field and the baseball/softball fields, unless they are being used for practice. However, it doesn’t make sense not to allow kids in classrooms if their purpose is for a club meeting, studying or enjoying time alone for a minute or so while the teacher goes out to run a quick errand.

“It leaves people like me who enjoy solitary time to be stuck alone in the middle of groups of other kids. Not fun and extremely embarrassing, so yeah, I don’t listen to the “Blue Line” rule,” said an anonymous student.

Another anonymous student said, “Kinda random to start enforcing it all of a sudden. I guess it should have been followed a while ago, but you can’t expect it to go down very well or be very effective if you reinstate it in the middle of the year.”

Mrs. Cox, along with other admin, enforced it strictly the first two days, but after that, it seems as if the rule is inept again. If it was as big as a deal as they were making it, why did they only enforce it for two days?