Choir Concert Ends On A High Note

Last week, Mr. Spiess and the choir department put on two concerts. The two hour performances featured songs from Concert Choir, Men’s Ensemble, Advanced Women’s Ensemble, and Chamber Choir.

Although these four groups sang the majority of the songs during the concert, the set was intermittent with songs by solo or group singers. One of my favorite solo pieces was the song “Believe” from the Polar Express. The song featured junior Kelly Taylor on vocals with backup piano.

“My favorite song from the concert was ‘I Got A Key,’” says Taylor. This song, performed by the Chamber Choir, featured soloists Bobby Goodwin, Lily Andrew, and Angie Reed.

Kelly Taylor has been in choir for two years, and participates in Chamber Choir and Men’s Ensemble. He also created Rocklin’s Acapella Club with the help of co-singers Matt Wong and Katie Morgan.

“Its a pretty low profile club. Basically we sing together, make up songs, and harmonize. We plan events too- we’re going christmas caroling this weekend,” Taylor explains.

This concert has started a tradition of student conductors. Student conductors are members of the choir who lead the class in practicing and performing a song. Senior Naomi Smith is a student conductor for Advanced Women’s Ensemble, and a member of both Chamber Choir and Advanced Women’s Ensemble.

“I help lead warm-ups during class. I also get to help teach about music and coach songs, and conduct a song during the concert,” says Smith. “It’s really an amazing experience. Join choir– It will change you!”

“My favorite song of the concert was ‘Cantique de Jean Racine,’” Smith adds. This song, generally too difficult for high school choirs to tackle, was sung completely in French.

The winter concert was extremely well done. I loved the blend of both holiday songs and regular songs. The singers were also incredibly practiced at switching between sets, so the wait between groups was close to nonexistent. The vocals in this concert were truly amazing, and the song choices were perfect. If you couldn’t make the Choir concert last week, be sure not to miss the next concert this spring!