AP Physics B to AP Physics 1

AP Physics B has been an AP class that many Rocklin High students have taken or are currently taking as an introduction to deeper level physics. Many take the class because they want to continue on and take some form of AP Physics C and the class, taught by Mr. Clarion, well prepares its students for this next step. However, AP Physics B is being replaced next year with AP Physics 1.

AP Physics 1 will only cover the first half of AP Physics B. In the beginning of the 2015-16 school year, Rocklin High will add AP Physics 2 to the school’s list of AP classes. AP Physics 2 will cover the other half of what would have been learned in AP Physics B, and the course will be required in order to take AP Physics C. The question is, why spend two years learning the same material you could in one?

College board has recommend the switch to AP Physics 1 and 2 in replacement of AP Physics B to allow students to fully understand the key concepts and materials taught in AP Physics B. College board stated “An in-depth study by the National Research Council (NRC) concluded that AP Physics B is a very broad course that ‘encourages cursory treatment of important topics in physics’ rather than cultivating a deeper understanding of key foundational principles.” It is believed that splitting the course into two courses will be the solution to the dilemma.

What do students think about this change? Current Rocklin High AP Physics B sophomore Sarah Lovejoy said “I think AP Physics B, although it is a fast paced class, does a good job teaching the material and I don’t think it is necessary to have two separate classes.” Not only do students feel like they are understanding the material they are learning, but many feel as if the change is a waste of time, only preventing them from reaching AP Physics C.

When asked how well AP Physics B prepared her for AP Physics C, Rocklin High student, Sangeetha Ramamurthy, said “I felt completely prepared for AP Physics C.” If students feel as if AP Physics B prepared them for the next step, is there a need to replace the class?

AP Physics B will be replaced with AP Physics 1 and 2, starting next year. Whether or not the change is thought of as ideal for time,the classes are guaranteed to give more insight and deeper understanding than AP Physics B. It will also be very beneficial to students interested in taking an AP class for the first time or who are interested in taking an easier AP class for AP credit. The AP Physics 1 class will begin next year with Mr. Clarion in room R29.