Developer yanks ‘Flappy Bird’ after game soars to success

Students and teachers alike scorn the game that is so time consuming and are glad that it has been deleted.

Flappy Bird has unexpected effects,” says Nguyen. “It causes addiction (in) people. I think it is an unexpected problem … and I have to remove it.”

Flappy Bird took everyone by storm in the past few weeks. People can’t seem to get enough of it. While some completely avoid the game, others can’t get enough of it.

Senior, Carl Samuelson, said, “It is a very addictive, annoying game.” Senior Sean Dulaney had a similar opinion. “I think it is incredibly addicting and a waste of time. All it does is get you mad.” It might be a waste of time, but Sean’s current high score is 119.

Sophomore Riley Hensley has an opinion that differs from the two seniors. She said, “I don’t play Flappy Birds. I don’t have time to and it is stupid.”

Junior Lauren Clark, said, “It’s very addicting. It is a cross between Mario and Angry Birds. I deleted it because it was consuming my life and was causing too much stress.”

High scores on the game range from two to well over 100! Chemistry and AP Bio teacher Mrs. DeMaria said that her “high score is 4.” In contrast, sophomore CJ Gohl said, “My high score is 149.” Shockingly, he is beat out by Kabir Chitre, a freshman here at RHS. “My high score is 162.”

The creator of the game, Dong Nguyen, took the game out of the app store on Sunday, causing commotion. While some think that he deleted the game because of internet hate, others because of the overuse of the game, it has raised many opinions.

twitter

Samuelson said, “It’s a sad thing really, but it’s just a game really. Everyone has downloaded it already.”

Chitre said, “I feel like he is dumb because he could get more money.”

Mrs. DeMaria said, “I think that if he made the game easier, that would conform to the world because everyone just wants everything to be easy for them. If something challenges people, they want it easier. He would just be conforming to society. If he made it easier, everyone would be getting really high scores and no would like it anymore.”

Though many may hate the game, the simplicity of it draws everyone in to keep playing until their brains go numb.