Depravata Review

Wonderful acting, witty humor, a great cast and just the right amount of spookiness

Wonderful acting, witty humor, a great cast and just the right amount of spookiness; Rocklin High’s production of Depravata was simply spectacular. Both the cast and crew has put their heart and soul into the performance, and their effort shines through the entire performance.

The show follows the adventures of a group of students who discover a mysterious carnival in the middle of nowhere. Curious about what awaits them within, they explore the attractions, but what begins as a fun Halloween night quickly turns into something much darker and sinister.

Each of the students are tempted with their deepest, darkest desire, luring them deeper into the inescapable trap which was set for them. Before they know it, their desires are twisted and changed into something unrecognizable. The ending is unexpected and yet strangely appropriate, bringing the play to a satisfying close.

Since plot explores the darker sides of human nature, some of the themes may be slightly uncomfortable for the audience. It’s definitely a different kind of theater experience.

All the actors did an amazing job of conveying the eerie tones of the play, and the choice of music added to the spooky mood of the overall show.

Moreover, the play itself is unique; the entire script was written by Rocklin High theater students. The original idea was created by last year’s Theater IV students in the form of a one act play. Due to the great feedback it received, a couple of visionary students banded together and turned Depravata into a full length play. The ending product was the amazing production that graced Rocklin’s stage from October 30 to November 2.

If you missed Depravata, don’t worry! Make sure to watch for upcoming performances from Rocklin High’s performing arts community.