Make RHS Great Again

ASB Election Season Has Begun

Katelyn Suggs

“Some People Are Worth Voting For.”

“Just O’D it.”

“Free Drinks on Me.”

Having these posters plastered around campus can only mean one thing. That’s right, ASB campaigning season is upon us. With elections happening this Wednesday, candidates running for offices from Class Officer to President are making their final push to win over the student body.

While all positions are important, the real leader of ASB is the President. Whoever gets elected to this position must run the ASB class, work with other schools in the district and run student activities. This position calls for a strong leader, and this year two students think that they have what it takes to become President of Rocklin High School.

Junior Logan McDevitt has been active in Student Council and ASB since middle school, so

he is no stranger to leadership positions. At RHS, he has participated in and led many extracurriculars, such as CSF and track. He hopes that this involvement on campus will give him an edge when it comes to the election.

“I believe I am very qualified for this position because I have served as Class Officer for the past three years, and as Class President for the past two years,” explains Logan. “I am dedicated to serving this school and its student body.”

If he becomes President, Logan hopes to change the role of ASB President from a figurehead to a position of more substance. He believes that this will promote student interaction on campus, as well as create unity.

Logan’s competitor, junior Christopher Waldvogel, also has experience in ASB and is involved with sports and clubs as well. He hopes that this involvement in school, combined with his school spirit, will earn him the title.

If Chris becomes ASB President, he hopes to create a unified and spirited campus culture. He also promises to help get students involved on campus and to keep Rocklin High one of the best schools in the area.

Though running for an ASB position may seem like more of a popularity contest than an actual election, the candidates have to put in tons of work in order to win. From punny posters to rehearsed speeches, winning takes a huge amount of work on the part of each candidate.

“The campaigning process has been very difficult because I want people to vote for not who is popular, but for who would make the best President for our school,” explains Logan, who has been actively campaigning all week.

With a change in the weather, the election day and speeches had to be moved forward. Now, instead of getting almost a whole week to campaign, candidates for all positions have only a few days to win over voters.

For positions like Vice President, Secretary and Sergeant at Arms, which only have one candidate running for each, this change makes little difference. However, for positions like Class Officer and President, the rescheduling has prompted a massive change in strategy.

Though it is not a national election by far, the ASB elections have a massive impact on the campus culture and leadership. So as the 2017 election day approaches, remember to bring your ID card and prepare to vote for the future of RHS.