Girls end frosh basketball season

Frosh join JV as two others move up.

Frosh+girls+in+December+action+before+injuries+hit.+

Sam Pierini

Frosh girls in December action before injuries hit.

Sophia Day, Sports Editor

After a successful half season, the girls freshman basketball team has merged with JV due to a shortage of players.

With only nine girls to begin with, the freshman team did not have much room to lose players. However, due to grade issues and injuries, the team was down to five girls, that was until two players fouled out leaving them with three players on the court in their game against Granite Bay.

“At this point, we just decided…we put a fork in them and moved them all to JV,” said Athletic Director, Ryan Spears.

Grace Schlager, former freshman team member was one of the players who fouled out of their game against Granite Bay said ,“The refs were favoring Granite Bay…they were silly fouls.”  

After the tough game against Granite Bay, Varsity Coach Rob Frederick and Mr. Spears made the executive decision that the girl’s freshman basketball team would be discontinued.  

Yesterday, the coaches announced the news that the freshman team will be getting a “promotion” to the JV Team.“It was really hard…they didn’t warn us or anything” said Schlager, “…it didn’t seem fair.”

Members of the team were upset, as they believed they could finish out the season. Although the players were told they were “promoted” they are still concerned about how much playing time they will receive.

“I played full game before and now I’m going to get half a quarter” said Sadie Smurthwaite, freshman, “The JV team was also kind of annoyed and think that we don’t deserve being on the JV Team.”
The new JV Team will be playing for the first time together tonight verse Nevada Union at Nevada Union.