Medical Intervention

Absorbing information within two weeks, then educating for a whole year.

Josue Sanchez

Teaching over 20 students on the fly from a two week program is no simple task. It takes a plan and an idea to educate a class full of juniors and seniors who have a dream to be successful.

Mrs. DeMaria has been working at Rocklin High School for more than 23 years, teaching regular science classes from every grade level. However this year, DeMaria was randomly given another science class, called Medical Intervention. Given two weeks of preparation and training at the University of San Diego, DeMaria mastered the skills of teaching something that has never been taught before here at Rocklin High School.

Medical intervention is the third highest level class from Project Lead the Way, providing a hands on, heavily lab based component to assist its students to focus on future careers in the medical and healthcare fields, such as a nurse, therapist, physician and more. The literal definition of Medical Intervention is to intervene with an input with right intent to modify an outcome, improving one’s health and getting rid of disease.

One experiment that the Medical Intervention class performed was the treatment of E. Coli bacteria. This experiment proved how to cleanse and cure dangerous bacteria to the extent of helping the student learn as well.

DeMaria has been nervously and excitedly waiting to teach this class not only because she has been teaching chemistry for over 10 years, but also because it will also help her improve as an educator.

Although, this is a very intriguing class where a student can grasp the principles of Medical Intervention, there are some many challenges that must initially be resolved.

One challenge is prep time; DeMaria has once stayed at school until 11:00 at night getting ready for their lab experiment the next day. Another challenge are the unusual devices used in that class. Because this class has never been taught before, both student and teacher have to absorb how such machines operate.  

“I really enjoy the opportunity to grow as a teacher,” says DeMaria, “This experience makes me feel like a brand new teacher.”

The primary goal for Medical Intervention is for the students to have a positive experience and exceed their level of interest by living up to their expectations and succeeding in any field they wish to pursue. Although, this mission statement may be difficult to flourish at first, Mrs. DeMaria is up for the task.

“I could have stayed put in my comfort zone, but instead I threw myself out there,” says DeMaria.

Her present Freshman BioMed class will eventually engage in Medical Intervention in two years. DeMaria is thrilled to have been given the opportunity to anticipate the innovation from her teachings.

Overall, the stress and anxiety that comes across Mrs. DeMaria will all be worth it in the end. To expanding her imagination to plan for the next day, or to simply figure out the “on button” on the PCR Machine, DeMaria is giving something back to the Rocklin High School students and community.