Spreading Christmas Cheer Since Freshman Year

From Freshman Board to Director, Aliena Pitts climbed the ranks of Thunder Galleria

Hannah Shows

Most consider the day after Thanksgiving the appropriate time to begin Christmas festivities: listening to Christmas music, hanging festive decorations and baking holiday cookies. But for some, like Aliena Pitts, Christmas-prep commences at the beginning of the school year.

Since freshman year, Aliena has been involved in Thunder Galleria – the student-run Christmas mall for underprivileged children held in December at RHS. Working her way up from the Freshman Board, she has served as the Freshman Board President and Co-Site Coordinator, now heading the event as the Director.

Attesting to her time with Thunder Galleria, Aliena claims, “I’ve definitely learned a lot about myself. I know that I can handle a lot more than I thought I could. I’ve become a much stronger leader. I love my board, and I love the role I have in overseeing all the magic that they’re going to do.”

For Aliena, witnessing the joy on the children’s faces every year validates the many hours of hard work each board member commits to making the event a success.

“My favorite part every year is when…the [cafeteria] doors open and all the kids come in and their eyes just get so big when they see all the presents that they have to choose from…just thinking about the difference that we’re making in the community, spreading Christmas cheer to everyone, regardless of financial circumstances [is heartwarming],” she attests.

She specifically remembers an encounter with a parent her sophomore year. The parent approached Aliena, wearing her Thunder Galleria sweatshirt, outside the event and profusely thanked her in broken English for her involvement in planning Thunder Galleria. The woman claimed her son had been looking forward to this for so long.

Understanding the earnestness of her thanks, Aliena remembers, “That made the event so incredible for me.”

Resulting from her time on the Thunder Galleria Board, Aliena has changed her post-high school plans.

“Seeing the effects of giving back to your community has influenced my career goals. I’m now looking to be a public servant, travelling abroad and helping people regardless of financial situations abroad,” she vouches.

Anyone looking to get involved with Thunder Galleria – either as an elf, shopkeeper or donating – she encourages everyone to give it a shot.

“Your high school years – [although] you don’t have a lot of time – you have a lot of opportunities to give back to your community. Thunder Galleria is one of the best ways that you can give back to your community, feel good, get community service hours and be a part of a great event.”

This year, donations are prolific due to the early RHS Club Competition and Donation Raffle, but the event is expanding.

“We are going to invite schools from the Roseville area…which will mean even more kids participating…this year,” claims Aliena.

While not every RHS student can be on the Thunder Galleria board, everyone can contribute to this worthwhile Christmas event.

Want to help the event and get on Santa’s nice list? Bring in donations of toys, games, movies, home decor or video games to the College and Career Center by December 9. (Please no clothes, animals or food.) The children attending Thunder Galleria will thank you!