A New Take On Testing

The new 1600-point SAT features a different style of questions that will change the way students prepare.

Connor Bolli

The SAT, or Scholastic Aptitude Test, is an exam dreaded by high school juniors and seniors alike. A combination of reading, writing and mathematics skills are tested in a time limit to produce a score used by many colleges to determine which applicants are accepted.

Since the test’s introduction in 1926, the SAT has undergone several changes. As of 2016, the test has been redesigned, including a return to the older and lower amount of total possible points, 1600. From 2005 until the beginning of this year, the SAT had been worth 2400 points. The new 1600-point scale being used is split evenly into 800-point sections between the english and mathematics sections of the multiple choice.

Aside from the new score system, the new SAT has made changes to the questions used. For example, the mathematics sections feature more “real-world” problems, which have significantly increased the amount of required reading. However, the time limit has not been increased correspondingly, making the new SAT somewhat more difficult.

In addition, the English sections have entirely removed vocabulary and analogy-based questions. These questions have been replaced with reading comprehension, synthesis and analysis of long passages and articles. This change has made the SAT less about rote memorization and more focused on analysis skills.

Junior Jared Peterson likes the changes. “The questions are more based on skills than prior knowledge like vocabulary,” says Jared. “The old SAT was probably easier in most parts, but you could lose points just for forgetting a certain word.”

As compensation for the more rigorous and skill-based questions, the essay portion of the test is now optional and scored entirely separately from the actual multiple-choice test. However, many four-year colleges, including the UCs, require the essay to be completed for acceptance. This, in addition to the SAT subject tests, is required for many STEM or business majors. This is primarily due to the extra measure of preparedness for college.

While these changes generally require the test taker to do more reading in the same time, increasing the test’s difficulty, they are ultimately positive changes. The old SAT included many skills that didn’t provide a good measurement of academic readiness.

The new emphasis on reading, writing and mathematics skills over rote memorization and obscure vocabulary is generally considered a better test of student readiness for college-level education. Also, the increased difficulty affects the scores of everyone, so even comparably lower scores leave more room for mastery.

The new SAT will be a fresh challenge and better scale for students worldwide, but only time will show its effects on Rocklin High’s students and college acceptance.