Seniors Score

Football’s Noah Young and Wesley Preece are honored with the NFF Scholar Athlete Award

Seniors+Score

Ally lent

The Rocklin high school football program is esteemed for its routinely successful seasons and producing athletes that are ready to compete at the next level. This year, two seniors stood out at the national level for their success on the field, in the classroom, and within the community.

Noah Young and Wesley Preece were honored at the Sacramento Chapter’s National Football Foundation High School Scholar Athlete Awards banquet on Thursday, March 10. According to the National Football Foundation, “the awards have become one of the most prestigious and competitive high school academic honors in the country.”

Criteria for the selection is based off of academic achievement, football performance and community involvement.

“I was nominated by the foundation and filled out the application a couple of weeks ago. And then the chapter chose me to be a recipient of the award,” said Noah Young.

The awards ceremony honored 41 high school football players from the greater Sacramento area, around ten of which represented the Sierra Foothill League.

Noah and Wesley were captains of the football team, and have excelled in high school.

Noah was a crucial part of the team’s D-line, and contributed to over 30 tackles in his senior season. His 3.3 cumulative high school GPA exceeded the 3.0 NFF requirement.

Wesley received all-metro and all-section tight end honors.  In the 2015 season, he had over 700 receiving yards and ten touchdowns. Wesley has maintained a 3.9 grade point average for four years at RHS.

What sets these recipients apart from the rest of the nominees was their extensive community involvement. Noah participated in the thunder mentoring program at RHS, and serves as a youth leader at his church. Wesley volunteered his time to coach the Rocklin Junior Thunder Football and Little Thunder Basketball programs and served pancakes at the Springfield Breakfast social.

Both young men contributed that their success in athletics and academics has been greatly influenced by their coaches and families.

“For me Coach Matt Eckman has been a huge role model.  He has coached me for many years in football and track. Over the years he has become more of a friend,” said Noah.

“My father used to be my coach. He’s always been there for me as a great person to talk to. He gives great advice and motivates me,” said Wesley.

The discipline and life lessons from football spans beyond the field. Both recipients plan to utilize their experiences from football to succeed in college.

Young is not playing football in college. He plans to attend Grand Canyon University and wants to take pre-med classes to become a pediatrician. Wesley is committed to UC Davis as a tight end, and plans to pursue a major in economics.