Rocklin High: A Full House

Class sizes rise to 40 to accommodate unusually large freshman class.

On August 18, 2015 Rocklin High welcomed around 1900 students back to school in an opening day assembly held at the gym. Among the 1900 were 509 freshmen, one of the biggest incoming classes RHS has seen since the opening of Whitney. The abnormally large size of the class of 2019 complicates not only gym seating but also class capacities.

In a recent survey taken by RHS media, 86% of underclassmen indicated that they have classes sized over 30 students. Health classes in particular have been filled well past capacity in order to accommodate the large number of incoming freshmen as well as the sophomores who did not take the course last school year.

At the beginning of the week, some health classes were as large as 37-40 students. However, another section of health was added (with the permission of the district) to deal with the overflow. Even with 15 health classes now offered, many are still filled to around 34-35 students.

The large freshman class has affected not only health classes but also the science department. There are 11 biology classes this year and four biomed classes taught by a total of five teachers.

One of these teachers, Ms. Michelle DeMaria, was given a biology class after the start of the school year to accommodate the unexpectedly large numbers. Mrs. Kristin Hamm’s biomed classes are also more full than expected with around 35-36 students in each of her four classes.

With the freshman class numbering almost 100 students more than the senior class, it is no surprise that the first week of school was complicated by oversized classes and scheduling shifts.