Mr. Dick Signs Off

This graduation, Rocklin High will say farewell to one of their longest-working teachers, Mr. Dick.

Mr. Dick started teaching at Rocklin High the very first year that the school opened, in 1993. Rocklin’s band program was tiny its first year, starting with only seven players. Since then, Mr. Dick has expanded the program to encompass two symphonic bands, an orchestra, a jazz band, and a pit orchestra.

In his 22 years, Mr. Dick has seen the school grow and find its own identity.

“As a place to work, RHS is the best. The spirit and ‘feeling’ at RHS is very special. There is a bond that exists in this between the staff and students that is nurtured by our philosophy of unconditional positive regard,” he said.

Teaching can be a very rewarding profession due to the interaction with students every day. For Mr. Dick, this is being with people who share his love of music.

“There is great power in being able to communicate through music, and when students feel and experience that, it can be a life-changing event. Being a part of that growth is very rewarding.”

Mr. Dick definitely plans to continue his career in music after his retirement. In addition to playing in a couple of different bands, he also plans to do more playing as well as composing and arranging music.

“I am toying with the idea of starting my own jazz combo to play wherever anyone will have us. I am still learning how to work a saxophone, and I always will be, so I look forward to having more time to practice and perform. I am also considering teaching privately and subbing in music classes.” he said.

Not only will he continue his hobby of music, he plans to take full advantage of his free time.

“Mrs. Dick and I already have trips planned, and I am very excited about visiting Europe and parts of the U.S. that we have never seen. I love spending time outdoors. I am a devoted gardener, backpacker, swimmer and river rafter. I also look forward to more raft trips with my older brother and his family,” he adds.

In leaving Rocklin High, the thing that Mr. Dick will most miss of all are his students.

“Being a part of their daily lives and their development as people is endlessly interesting to me,” he concludes.