Your Story, Your School: Anna Bothe

Five days every week, two hours every day. Playing a sport outside of school requires hours of dedication from athletes. For those that truly love the game, however, the time is well spent.

RHS senior Anna Bothe began playing tennis the summer before her freshman year and has continued playing ever since.

“I had done little summer camps as I kid and I wanted to play a sport for the school. I was a ballerina at the time, and I had to make a decision if I wanted to continue doing that or do a sport,” Anna said.

In addition to playing four years of tennis for RHS, Anna has spent her high school years training with clubs and playing in tournaments separate from the school’s program.

“I train in academies and play tournaments through USTA [United States Tennis Association],” Anna shared. “USTA is a national foundation that schedules matches and can help players achieve a national ranking.”

As a senior, Anna finds it manageable to balance her academic workload and tennis. While her sport demands a lot of time and energy, playing is worthwhile due to the enjoyment she gets from it.

“I like the intensity of the sport and having the sole ability to determine the outcome [of the match]. I love being a part of a team, but being able to play singles and doubles is really cool,” Anna said.

Anna also looked into continuing her time as a student athlete after graduation. While the college application process has largely ended, prospects for athletes in the class of 2015 are ongoing.

“I talked with a coach over spring break about being a walk-on, but a lot depends on the school I am going to,” Anna said. “On the east coast, I looked into Amherst, Bentley, and Babson. Also Claremont McKenna has a Division III program I was interested in.”

However, Anna recently decided to attend UCLA in the fall, which ended discussions with coaches from these schools.

Four years of hard work and dedication fueled by a love for the game has shaped Anna’s high school experience as a student athlete for RHS.