Mobile Madness

RHS issues new Electronic Enforcement Plan

Mobile Madness

Rocklin high school students were thrown for a loop this morning when their second period teachers started class by reading a statement from Administration.  To their surprise, they were informed of Rocklin High School’s Electronics Enforcement Plan for Spring 2015.

The remodeled policy expects that students are required to enter the classroom at 7:40 a.m. with their phones off and put away. During class, their “electronic devices” are permitted when the teacher requests that they be used, or when a student is granted permission by their teacher. Under no circumstance is the use of electronics permitted when a substitute teacher is present. Head phones are allowed in class with teacher’s discretion, but are not allowed outside of class. Administration will take disciplinary measures on any student caught using headphones around campus.

Passing periods in between classes are designated as time when the electronics should be put away. Administration failed to express their expectations on use during morning break – from 9:05 a.m. to 9:20 a.m.- which may raise questions from both students and staff on campus who are expected to enforce the policy.

The biggest change that this policy stipulates affects lunch time usage. In the past, electronics were not allowed to be out in the cafeteria, amphitheater, or around campus during plus and lunch. However, the new plan allows students “to use their electronic devices for appropriate school and personal use,” while in the cafeteria and on central campus.

Teachers and Administrators can still confiscate electronics that are being used improperly, and the student is now responsible for picking up their device after school and will be disciplined.

Administration states the reason for the adjustment of policy comes at a time when “[the] use of mobile electronic devices for instructional use and personal communication” is increasing, and RHS faculty felt strongly that something needed to change.